Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan and Dionysos?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Trajan and Dionysos?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »
Hello all,

I recently purchased this coin from a pick bin and its attribution is eluding me. 

Obv: TPAI - Laureate head right
Rev: Dionysos standing left, holding thrysos and bunch of grapes, panther at his feet.

The obverse legend leads me to believe it's Trajan, but the portrait does not look like him IMO.

I am uncertain of the reverse description.  There appears to be a theta in the left field and there may be an A or Lamda in the upper left field.  The reverse is off center, but I see no other evidence of legend remaining.

3.69 g, 19 mm.  The coin is a much lighter green than in the photo, it is very beautiful in hand.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

All coins are guaranteed for eternity