Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Today in History March 14th/15th  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Today in History March 14th/15th
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »
March 14 and 15, 44 BCE.

With friends like this who needs enemies?

Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus was a distant relative of Marcus Brutus. He was known as one of Julius Caesar's "most intimate associates" and a friend of Mark Antony. Albinus had served under Caesar in both the Gallic Wars and the Civil War. He participated in the siege of Massilia (Marseilles) that held out against Caesar for months. He also commanded a Caesarian fleet.

Plutarch considered Albinus "of no great courage," but Albinus was a faithful and loyal supporter of Caesar. He was to be Consul in 42 BC along with Lucius Plancus. While awaiting the consulship Albinus was to become Governor of Cisalpine Gaul when the post became available in the spring of 44 BC

Albinus was approached by Cassius and Labeo to involve him in the conspiracy to murder Caesar. Albinus while willing wanted to make sure Marcus Brutus was involved before agreeing to the plot. After meeting with Brutus he agreed. Both Brutus and Albinus received notification of a meeting of the Senate to be held on March 15th. Albinus agreed to use an exhibition of his Gladiators after the meeting as protection in case things got out of hand after the murder had taken place. Caesar's retired legionaries were all around the city and none of the conspirators knew how they would react at Caesar's death.

At a dinner at the house of Marcus Lepidus on the night of March 14, 44 BC Caesar was in attendance along with Decimus Brutus. Towards the end of the night Caesar's secretary approached for him to sign some letters. As he was signing Albinus posed a philosophical question to him: "What sort of death is best?" Caesar answered "A sudden one"

The next morning the Senate awaited Caesar to arrive. Caesar's wife Calpurnia and the auspices warned Caesar not to attend the meeting. When Caesar delayed the conspirator's sent Albinus to Caesar's house. Albinus convinced Caesar to at least postpone the meeting in person. Antony was against this idea but Caesar decided to attend. As Caesar made his way to the Theater of Pompey a slave tried slipping him a note warning of the assassination plot, but being hard pressed by the people he failed to read it.  Antony was detained outside the meeting while Caesar was murdered by the conspirators in the Theater of Pompey in the Campus Martius, Albinus being a key player in the conspiracy.

Beware the Ides of March.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Today in History March 14th/15th
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it's my belief that March 15th 44BC is exactly the same in our current calendar as in the calendar the Romans used. It was post the Julian reform of the calendar when everything was reset to normal seasons. Then over the next 16 centuries the Julian calender crept ahead by 11 days. The Gregorian adjustment of 1582 removed the drift by deeming that in three out of four 00 years, excepting 000 years, the leap year was abolished - thus removing leap years from the years 100,200,300,500,600,700,900,1100,1300,1400,1500 and resetting the calendar back 11 days - to exactly where it was when Julius Caesar drew it up.

So, 15th March 44BC = 15th March 2012, and the sun should be in the same position tomorrow as it would have been on Caesar's assassination. Or not?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:29:52 pm »
No clue Andrew.  But I think that we should all call in sick tomorrow. 

Stay home and be with our coins.

Better safe than stabbed. 

Shawn

PS. Note to self.  See if any of my staff have Brutus or Albinus as middle names. 
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »
No clue Andrew.  But I think that we should all call in sick tomorrow. 

Stay home and be with our coins.

Better safe than stabbed. 

Shawn

PS. Note to self.  See if any of my staff have Brutus or Albinus as middle names. 

;)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »
Beware of men in sheets tomorrow!  Actually that is good advice all year round!

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »
Not only that, but March 14 is Pi day!
3/14

:)
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

taurisker

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:24 pm »
The murder of Julius Caesar in HBO´s 'Rome':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvgP5hO99o&feature=related
I should watch the Rome series again, great story!

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »
Beware of men in sheets tomorrow!  Actually that is good advice all year round!

Right! Tomorrow Today is a bad day  :'(

mz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity