Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Collection of Republican Denarii  (Read 25306 times)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Re: My Collection of Republican Denarii
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 10:16:25 am »
Thanks Andrew,

You are correct; this was a bit of intellectual laziness on my part.  What I was attempting to convey was that, until I acquire enough specimens to start an “Imperatorial sub-gallery”, I intend to place my “legionary denarius” with the rest of my Republican denarii

As you’ve correctly pointed out; I did state “with full knowledge that this is not a Republican Issue”.  My statement is very ignorant of the facts.  I knew better then, and I surely know better now.  I hope my sloppiness was not an irritation to my FORVM Mates.

Once again Andrew, thank you.  +++

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 11:15:54 am »
Quote from: Bud Stewart on October 14, 2012, 10:16:25 am
What I was attempting to convey was that, until I acquire enough specimens to start an “Imperatorial sub-gallery”, I intend to place my “legionary denarius” with the rest of my Republican denarii

Bud

It's a nice coin Republican or not! I've been looking for clear specimens for two decades or more annd they are tough to find with such a clear reverse number. But on your point I'm not sure Imperatorial coins really are a separate group. These were the coins of the Roman Republic in the 40s and 30s BC; some were struck in the name of proconsuls or triumvirs, and some, of the same time period, were not.

Andrew

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
My Last Denarii of 2012
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
Well, I had a very good Numismatic Year.  Earlier this week I added, what are most likely, my last two denarii of 2012:

Q. Sicinius and C. Coponius – Sicinia-1
ROMAN REPUBLIC Q. Sicinius and C. Coponius 49 BC AR Denarius (17mm, 3.93g).  Mint moving with Pompey. Diademed head of Apollo right; star below / Club of Hercules surmounted by lion's skin; arrow to left; bow to right. Crawford 444/1a; SRCV 413; Sicinia 1; Syd 939
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90990

Ti. Minucius C.f. Augurinus – Minucia-9
ROMAN REPUBLIC Ti. Minucius C.f. Augurinus  134 BC AR denarius (19mm, 3.83g).  Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; mark of value behind neck / Ionic column surmounted by statue; at base, grain ear to inner left and right; to outer left, Minucius Augurinus standing right, with foot on modius; to outer right, M. Minucius Faesus standing left, holding lituus. Crawford 243/1; SRCV 120; Sydenham 494; Minucia 9; EX CNG 207, lot 333 (March 2009).
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90991

As I’ve said many times in the past, thanks FORVM for allowing me to share my interest in the history and the coinage of Ancient Rome.

I wish all my FORVM Mates a Joyous & Prosperous New Year!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
wow Bud, it's been awhile since i gone through your gallery. you HAVE been busy!

yours has grown into a very nice collection, quite a pleasure to browse. i congratulate you on having a good eye and look forward to seeing next year's additions.

and i hope you and yours have a really good New Year!   :)

happy to be leaving 2012 behind,
~ Peter

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:20 am »
Thanks very much Peter.  I’m really enjoying collecting and learning.

I find the historical narratives in your gallery very enlightening, as well as entertaining.  You gallery descriptions are an inspirational reminder of why I collect coins.  It may sound trite, but coins really are “history in the Hand”.

Some of the most prized additions to my ‘collection’ will probably never be posted in my “Gallery”; these are the additions I’ve made to my library.  I have had the pleasure of reading some great books this year.  Most of my reading has been about the eras I’ve been collecting and this has really given context to the coins in my cabinet.

Once again Peter, I must thank you for your kind words of support.

I hope you have a Wonderful New Year.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
“The Beginning of The End”
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2013, 01:42:25 pm »
Well, I’ve just made my first acquisition of 2013. 

It may not be spectacular, but I’m very happy with my new denarius

I must to admit to have a special affinity to the coinage of the dying decades of the Republic.  My Acilia-8 was minted in the  “Year of the Consulship of Lentulus and Marcellus”, which is year that Caesar crossed the Rubicon.  While there were many events that lead to this fateful event, this was ‘arguably’ the beginning of the end to The Roman Republic.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-91872

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:59 am »
Sometimes the history behind this coin are more important and interesting than the quality of the coin.

;)

It is any way a very nice pick up.

Regards
quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 07:32:14 pm »
Please accept my apologies FORVM Mates, I haven't been especially active on the site, but it is not from lack of love, life has been rather hectic lately.  Well, I have been fortunate enough to add some denarii to my collection and I would love to share them with you.

L. Procilius L.f. – Procilia-1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-93199

P. Crepusius – Crepusia-1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-93200

L. Postumia Albinus – Postumia-7
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-94020

L. Farsuleius Mensor - Farsuleia-2
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-95954

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:19 am »
I just stumbled across this at a local shop.   I’ve had a Sullla denarius on my ‘wish list’ since I started collecting the coins of the Roman Republic.   I’ve always been most interested in the Late Republican Era.

L. Manlius Torquatus and L. Cornelius Sulla - Manlia-4

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-96248

ROMAN REPUBLIC 82 BC. Denarius. Mint moving with Sulla.
L. MANLI before, PRO.Q behind, helmeted Roma right
 Sulla, being crowned by Victory, in quadriga right; L SVLLA IM in exergue.
Crawford 367/5; Syd 757; SRCV 286; RSC Manlia-4

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
My latest addition is from the moneyer Marcus Porcius Cato who was the Father of Cato UticensisCato Uticensis better known as "Cato the Younger" and is famous for his tenacious defense of the dying Republic and for being a staunch opponent of Julius Caesar.

M. Porcius Cato – Porcia-5

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-96903

ROMAN REPUBLIC 89 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 4.05 g, 11h). Rome mint.
Head of Roma right, her hair tied up at back of head M. CATO below, ROMA behind
Victory seated right on chair, holding patera and palm frond over shoulder VICTRIX in exergue.
Crawford 343/1b; Sydenham 596; Porcia 5; RCV 247

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2013, 05:29:24 pm »
Very nice Gallery 

Congratulation

Regards
 Quadrans
My Gallery

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »
Hi Mates,

Well I’ve slowed down quite a bit.  My daughter’s University tuition is the reason, but I just ‘ticked off’ another on my ‘wish list’, or is that ‘hit list’.

ROMAN REPUBLIC. Q. Titius AR denarius (17mm, 3.72g). Rome mint.
Head of Mutinus Titinus (or Priapus) right, bound with winged diadem
Q TITI. Pegasus rearing right on inscribed tablet.
Crawford 341/1; Syd 691; Titia 1; RCV 238. Ex Baumheckel.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-101371

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:52 pm »
Quote from: Bud Stewart on August 31, 2013, 07:55:58 pm
Hi Mates,

Well I’ve slowed down quite a bit.  My daughter’s University tuition is the reason, but I just ‘ticked off’ another on my ‘wish list’, or is that ‘hit list’.

Maybe you could convince her to major in ancient civilizations, specializing in the Roman Republic era ;)

Very attractive coin!

~Steve

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23:29 pm »
I had an opportunity to visit the Whitman Philadelphia Expo this morning.  My schedule didn’t allow me to spend much time on the Bourse, but what little time I did have was productive.

P. Licinius Nerva – Licinia-7

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102207

ROMAN REPUBLIC AR denarius P. Licinius Nerva. 113-112 BC. (3.78g), Rome.
ROMA Helmeted bust of Roma to left, with spear and shield.
P NERVA Voting scene one voter casts his vote to right, to left another receives his from an attendant. Crawford 292/1, Sydenham 548, RSC 169, Licinia 7

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2013, 03:59:06 pm »
very productive!
a nice choice, an interesting scene in such terrific condition... nicely done!

~ Peter

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2013, 02:51:47 pm »
Hi Everyone,

It was a very productive November.  I was fortunate to add four denarii to my Republican Collection.  Thanks for allowing me to share.

Sex. Pompeius Fostlus – Pompeia-1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-104484

M Furius Lf Philus – Furia-18
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-104206

Decimus Junius Brutus – Postumia-13
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-105008

M Aemilius Scarus & Pub Plautius Hypsaeus – Aemilia-8
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-105009

I’m going to have to slow down a bit, so I don’t intend to be active in December.

To all my American Mates “Happy Thanksgiving” all my Jewish Mates “Happy Chanukah” !

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
I like the Sx.Pom.Fostulus with the shepherd under the fig tree and the twins. It's unusually complete with both sides of legend visible, which is scarce.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2013, 07:14:25 pm »
Thanks Andrew.  I'm aware that Sextus Pompeius Fostlus is from the same Gens that produced the famous Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (“Pompey the Great”), but what, if any, is the familial relationship?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2013, 07:25:00 pm »
Quote from: Bud Stewart on November 28, 2013, 07:14:25 pm
Thank Andrew.  I'm aware that Sextus Pompeius Fostlus is from the same Gens that produced the famous Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (“Pompey the Great”), but what, if any, is the familial relationship?

The person is unknown as is the date and motive of issue hence any relation to Gn.Pompeius Magnus would be speculative. However due to the extraordinary type and its position in Republican numismatics as the first extraordinary type and its date in the 130s BC there's been centuries of discussion. See for example Crawford's view that it's an advertisement for the anti Numantia treaty factions. There's no consistent view. In fact in Coins in Roman Imperial Policy, Metcalf in a long essay, Coins as Primary Evidence, explains how little we are actually sure about this type. It might, he says, even be a Pomponia rather than a Pompeia. This hasn't stopped curious minds discussing the coin.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »
Thanks very much Andrew. I always appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge with me. You’re an invaluable recourse and we’re all very fortunate to have access to you. Take care friend.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2013, 12:39:22 am »
nice additions Bud!
i always enjoy watching your gallery grow, thanks for shaing.   8)

~ Peter

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2013, 03:38:58 pm »
Thanks Peter,

What really gets me excited about our wonderful pastime is the direct connection to some of the most fascinating people and events in history.  Without the ‘back-story’ my cabinet just becomes a hoard of pretty, and not so pretty, pieces of stamped metal.  

Always with my love of history & biography at ‘centre stage’, I started collecting modern circulating commemoratives.  I very rapidly moved onto, what I call, Early Modern European Silver with an emphasis of the coinage of the 30-Year-War.

I ‘discovered’ Roman Denarii when I stumbled upon a Trajan and a Septimius Severus at a local Coin Store.  I was surprised that I could afford these pieces and, and more out of curiosity than anything, I purchased my first two denarii.

My second great ‘discovery’ occurred when my attempt to use the internet to find out about my newly acquired denarii led me to the FORVM.  As a newbie, I was initially very intimidated to participate, but the welcoming reception I received from members of the FORVM quickly dispelled my apprehension and I felt right at home.

When I was invited to share my collection in the Galleries, I at first hesitated.  As my pictures attest, I’m no photographer, but I now love to share my collection with people who share my enthusiasm.

Other ‘life activities’ seem to preclude me from being a more active FORVM participant, but as I keep saying, I need to change that and one day I will.

Thanks to all my FORVM Mates.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2013, 05:09:35 am »
Hi Bud your collection are nicely increasing..

congrats

+++

Q.
My Gallery

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:49 am »
This one came as a surprise.  I sincerely thought I had already added my last denarii for 2013, then along came this beauty.  As always, thanks for allowing me to share.

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus – Plaetoria-3

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-105130

Wishing all my FORUM Mates a Happy Prosperous New Year!

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:52 pm »
I just added a couple of Denarii to my cabinet. 

I know my legionnaires have been decapitated, but overall I think this specimen is rather nice

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-107782

ROMAN REPUBLIC C. Servilius C.f. AR Denarius 57 BC (18.57mm 3.86 grams)
FLORAL PRIMUS, hd. of Flora r., wearing wreath of flowers, lituus behind
C•SERVEIL C•F•, two warriors facing each other with short swords upward
Crawford 423/1, Servilia 15, Syd 890, RCV 380

This denarius is certainly not in “mint-state”, but then again neither am I.  I’ve really learned to appreciate a coin with some “character”.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-107783

ROMAN REPUBLIC  M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus AR Denarius 67 BC (18.96 mm 3.45 grams)
SESTIANVS - S C, Helmeted draped bust right, with attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, and Victory, cornucopia below chin
M.PLAETORIVS.M.F.AED - CVR, Eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head left, wings spread. 
Ex Madroosi collection. Crawford 409/1, Plaetoria 4, Syd 809, RCV 349

All coins are guaranteed for eternity