Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Greek?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Unknown Greek?
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:20 pm »
Well, unknown to me - maybe someone has some ideas.

Obv:  Laureate Zeus right?

Rev:  6-rayed star,   :Greek_Mu: - [ :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Omega:?] -  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha::GreeK_Sigma:  :Greek_epsilon: - [ :Greek_Omega:?] -  :Greek_Nu:  between rays

20 mm, 5.89 gm

Bracket letters are guesses - other letters pretty clear.

Any comments or ideas to city appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown Greek?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:04 am »

Not the same coin (since this larger bronze coin with not six rays but eight shows not Zeus but Zeus Ammon), but still worth comparing; your coin could read :Greek_Theta::Greek_Upsilon::Greek_Mu: + the name of a magistrate.  Even this larger bronze issue is scarce; if your coin is from Thymbra too, it's unlisted in Isegrim.

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=92
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=447247
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:02 am »

Maybe it is:  :Greek_Theta: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha: :GreeK_Sigma: ?

Pekka K

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:05:48 am »
There are several coins with a similar atar reverse.  I'm not sure I'd focus soley on thymbra.

What about Moesia?

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.   I was looking at the Zeus Ammon from Thymbra too, but I am not even sure mine is Zeus at this point.   The "M" and "N" are clear - more so in hand than in my picture.  So are the "IA" and the " :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_epsilon:" although I can see where the ":Greek_epsilon:" could be an " :Greek_Xi:" as the left side of the letter is not there and I am going by an impression in the patina.   Maybe I'll re-photograph with attention to each letter when I get home tonight. 

Any ideas as to why a six rayed star?   I have two other rayed coins (8 and 9 rayed from Kolone) and they appear to be linked to the value with the 9 rayed a smaller coin than the 8 rayed.  I haven't found many examples of six rays.

Thanks again,

Joe

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:00:26 am »
I made a composite of the different letters - still not the best shots, but a little better than the whole.  Any more ideas?

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:38 am »
Could it be ΜΟΡΙΑΣΕΩΝ? There is a coin like this, but 12 mm and 7,2 g, in Katalog Münzauktion Essen 64 (1992) no. 47, acquired by P. R. Franke. He attributes it to an until now unknown thraco-macedonian tribe, the Moriaseis, which coul be mentioned in Plin. nat. 4,41 as Moriseni. He dates it to the time of Philip V and Perseus. His article about the coin: P. R. Franke, ΜΟΡΙΑΣΕΙΣ. Die erste Münze eines bislang unbekannten thrakisch-makedonischen Stammes, in: V. Spinoi - L. Munteanu, Miscellanea numismatica antiquitatis in honorem septagenarii magistri Virgilii Mihailescu, Bucarest 2008, p. 67f.

Frank

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:26:41 am »
Well, that is what it looks like to me!   Thank you very much!  Any ideas how I can get that article?   :)

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:14 am »
I can send you a scan, but just in 2 or 3 weeks.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »
That would be great!   I'll also try the inter-library loan at my local library, but anything would be welcomed! 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity