Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian RIC 260f  (Read 807 times)

Offline DSTIEBS

• Legionary
Aurelian RIC 260f
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:09 pm »
Hi: Bought this on ebay but can't find the true coin under the referance RIC 260f. I would like to know what you think. Thanks, John.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Aurelian RIC 260f
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:19:39 am »
I think RIC 242, VIRTVS MILITVM. At least the reverse seems to match pretty well.

Aurelian Silvered AE Antoninianus. Siscia Mint. IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate & cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS MILITVM, Emperor receiving Victory on a globe from a soldier, star P, S, T, Q or P, S, T, Q star in ex. Sear5 11636.

Offline DSTIEBS

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:04 am »
Thanks for the info. Looks like it but mine has the P mint mark. I really don't know if it makes a difference. I just started collecting Ancient Coins so I have a lot to learn. I still collect US coins but the Ancients will be in addition. I am enjoying it but need to learn how to detect fakes. Thanks again for the info. John.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:55:03 am »
Thanks for the info. Looks like it but mine has the P mint mark. I really don't know if it makes a difference. I just started collecting Ancient Coins so I have a lot to learn. I still collect US coins but the Ancients will be in addition. I am enjoying it but need to learn how to detect fakes. Thanks again for the info. John.

It's the officina.

Well welcome on board. You can't do better than this site. Plus they also take layaway payments for up to 4 months if you buy from them. Guaranteed for life to be real. There's also a fake coin section. And all the very best experts.

Welcome to the hobby of Kings. 

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:05:56 am »
The P in this case is somewhat relevant as it is the officina / workshop within a mint. P = PRIMA, S = SECUNDA, T = TERTIA etc.
Therefore the two coins were produced in different workshops.
Martin

rick2

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:45 pm »
correct

what he means is that P or T makes a difference

in this case no
The RIC number is the same
as explained  *P *S *T *Q are classified under the same number but with different officina

it would be a different number (and possibly a different mint) if it had RP or RS RT RQ for example

Offline DSTIEBS

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:12 am »
Thanks to all that responded with you information. I need to read up on what type of collection I would like to collect. I am leaning towards the Greek coins with a few of each just to make it more interesting. I will be around and make this my home base for buying coins. Thanks again. John.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity