Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Haggard provincial of Julia Domna? Cult statue of Artemis  (Read 500 times)

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Haggard provincial of Julia Domna? Cult statue of Artemis
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:31 pm »
I've exhausted all the means available to me to attribute this annoying coin, I'm pretty sure the reverse depicts a cult statue of Artemis and the obverse is most likely Julia Domna, you'd think this would make it relatively easy to identify but no!
(some may say it’s not worth identifying)

The invaluable Curtis Clay recently attributed a coin from the same lot to Macedonia, so I assume this is of a similar region like the rest of the lot, hope this is of some help to anyone attempting this one 

29mm

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Haggard provincial of Julia Domna? Cult statue of Artemis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:01 pm »

Some more legend would help; a light olive-oil rub might well do it!
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:33:25 pm »
Thanks, I'm a complete novice when it comes to cleaning coins but I'll give it a go, also would this light olive-oil rub do anything for this Gallienus:

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »
Certainly not Macedon but rather Lydia. Hypaipa is a good start when it comes to this kind of cult-statue of Artemis.

Lars

PS: please do not post two coins for identification in the same threads, that leads to confusion
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:15 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't post the Gallienus for identification. I was asking whether it would benefit from the same olive-oil treatment, thanks for the Lydia tip!

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »
Olive oil won't do much to enhance corroded coins, though a light rub can help sharpen details on coins that are worn. So I'm not keen on oil as a cleaning agent.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity