Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus Quinarius?... two of em....  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Augustus Quinarius?... two of em....
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:30 pm »
My brother recently purchased these two coins simply attributed as Augustus quinarii.  I've found quinarii with prow reverse, but none with a Nike reverse like this.  I focus on Greeks, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.  Help on attribution would be appreciated.

P.S.  Sorry for the picture quality.  They were taken with my blackberry.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Andreas Reich

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Augustus Quinarius?... two of em....
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »
Thank you.  I knew someone would be able to pull it up rather quickly.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:08:42 am »
This is a very well known AR quinarius type for Octavian, as you know for the Julio Claudians after Octavians quinarius AR they went to gold quinarius,.

Joe Geranio Collection- The Triumvirs. Octavian. 29-28 BC. AR Quinarius (13mm, 1.61 g, 7h). Italian (Rome?) mint. Bare head right / Victory standing left on cista mystica between two serpents with heads erect. RIC I 276; CRI 429; RSC 14. Anyone may Use as long as credited.

I just picked this one up, not as nice as yours, they are very collectable I would say?  Thery are rare enought to me that I will buy them if the price is not too bad.
CCAESAR

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:56:22 am »
Lately plenty of them in the marketplace. Possibly a hoard ?

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
Your correct lately Benito, plenty of Octavian Quin AR?
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »
I don't like when dealers have them under Roman republic in catalogs or on line, cause I dont collect Republican coins.      This forces me to go to the republican area in a catalog, and it s not Augustus under empire section either.   So I guess they are correct, and I have learned about some cool early Octavian AR's that way also, its all good.   
CCAESAR

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »
I don't like when dealers have them under Roman republic in catalogs or on line, cause I dont collect Republican coins.      This forces me to go to the republican area in a catalog, and it s not Augustus under empire section either.   So I guess they are correct, and I have learned about some cool early Octavian AR's that way also, its all good.  

The Empire started in 27BC, coincident with Octavian changing his title to Augustus and the related constitutional reforms. This Octavian quinarius, like it or not, is a Roman Republican type - struck under Octavian's Imperium, after Actium but whilst he was still acting in an Imperatorial role. Many collectors compensate for these overlaps - with Imperial collectors sometimes collecting all the coins of Octavian and Republican collectors sometimes collecting all the coins of Augustus.

It's well proven by now that the CAESAR DIVI F types of Octavian were struck before Actium, i.e. as the same time as Mark Antony's legionary coins. Certainly these are Republican. Here are the CAESAR DIVI F types:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157615999739661/detail/

The post-Actium types mainly are inscribed IMP CAESAR. But they are still Republican coins, in fact they coincide with the coinage of Scarpus (certainly a Republican Imperator). You can see the types here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157616090224772/detail/

Note I include Scarpus' types, as well as the Alexandrian types of Octavian (as he then was) when he was holed up in Alexandria. These coins may even have preceded Cleopatra's suicide. They are very rare - much rarer than Cleopatra's own coins. Only a single coin type - the aureus at the end of the set - acknowledges the new order and includes the new title "Augustus". Then Octavian shut down his Imperatorial mint, not to resume coin production under his own name for a long time.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »
I agree with you, I just don't like it.   LOL,  Lazy american collector that I am.   LOL

CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity