Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Puzzling crude silver, possible crusader(?) id help please  (Read 1053 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Puzzling crude silver, possible crusader(?) id help please
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:01:32 am »
Morning all. I figured I post my last id problem of the year before I was too hung over (which I am guaranteed to be tomorrow! lol).

I got this in a lot of really crappy coins, most of which look to be small islamics and tiny imitative byzantine cups. This one looks to be AR, and hand designed (ie, it looks to me that someone filed all of the design tick marks on the obverse) and features what looks to me, a maltese cross. With the casting sprue, it looks like the flans were mass produced in a string, possibly. Anyway...any and all help would be fantastic, and Happy New Year!

Chris

13mm 1.28g

EDIT - After making it through the ID board with nothing, I have moved this post here in hope of a bit more play. Thanks.
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Puzzling crude silver, possible crusader(?) id help please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »
I don't think this ever was a coin, maybe the top of a larger cross? Or something completely different.
Andreas Reich

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Puzzling crude silver, possible crusader(?) id help please
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:11:31 am »
Thanks Andreas, you are probably correct. :) (I could have swore I saw a similar "coin" somwhere before, but I could just be making that up in my mind! lol)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity