Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified Greek Zeus/Poseidon?  (Read 390 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Unidentified Greek Zeus/Poseidon?
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:53:21 am »
I am very pleased with this coin from an unidentified lot. The head looks like Zeus/Poseidon to me, the reverse shows an Eagle. I don't think it's a coin from the ptolemy era, but could be mistaken. Any suggestions to its identity will be appreciated.

Agathodaimon

Re: Unidentified Greek Zeus/Poseidon?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:36:30 am »
Have a look to the Brettii section in Wildwinds  ;)

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:57:15 am »
I can't find a match with the head of Zeus left at wildwinds. How about this attribution:

BRUTTIUM, Lokroi Epizephyrioi. Circa 220-210 BC.Laureate head of Zeus left / Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; cornucopiae before, Φ behind. SNG ANS 550; HN Italy 2400.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=256438

Agathodaimon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:05:08 am »
I was hinking about this kind of coin ([LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] ), but you're right head is not left and this is Lokroi : http://www.s110120695.websitehome.co.uk/SNG/sng_reply2a.php?verb=SNGuk_1000_0435.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity