Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Museums @ Egmore & Fort St George, Chennai, India  (Read 6360 times)

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
Museums @ Egmore & Fort St George, Chennai, India
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:15:44 am »
Egmore

Not really much of coin display here so in that respect it was disappointing, although there is plenty of other interesting things to see. The Museum itself is some what dilapidated and could be so much better if was looked after properly.
Two tire pricing system Locals get in for 15 rupees while for non-locals its 250 rupees & 200 rupee fee if you want to use a camera

http://www.chennaimuseum.org/draft/geninfo/geninfo.htm

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
Re: Museums @ Egmore & Fort St George, Chennai, India
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
a few more

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:48 am »
last few from Egmore

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:07 am »
Fort St George Mueum

A much smaller Museum based round the history of Fort St George which was the first British Fortress founded in India in 1639. A bigger selection of coins (2 galleries) which are reasonably displayed.
Again a two tire pricing structure, locals = 5 rupees non-locals = 100 rupees and 25 rupees for using a camera.

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 11:57:14 am »
I found this 4 3/4 Stiver was rather interesting. I'm wondering if it is something akin to the silver bars that they use to make cobs, perhaps a copper equivalent? Strange number value too, why 4 3/4 rather than a 4 or 5 ?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »
I was able to tour both the Government and Fort St George museums back in October 2009.  My wife had to go to Chennai for a week on business and she was NOT excited at going, so I went with her.  After the driver dropped her off at the building she was working at I had the car for rest of the day so I was able to do some sightseeing, including these two museums.

As you mentioned, some of the displays, especially the zoological ones, need a bit of additional preservation or restoration.  But overall it was interesting touring museums in another part of the world and from a culture very different than what I'm used to. 

Even though I am admittedly ignorant about Indian cultural history, the galleries containing the stone statues and the bronze castings were amazing to view.  The bronze gallery was probably the most modern and well presented, with climate controlled cases and a really great air conditioning system.....something really appreciated by those not accustomed to the Indian heat !!!

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:13:35 pm »
allow me to refresh your memory

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »
a few more

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:11 am »
allow me to refresh your memory

Oh yes !!

I specifically remember the #3 and #8 .jpg pieces.....and the two skeletons...the man with horse and the elephant.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:28 am »
Those are fine Siva and Parvati by any standards, and I love the dwarf that Siva dances on.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity