Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 07:09:30 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Constans II coins in Arab Chalifat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constans II coins in Arab Chalifat  (Read 852 times)
explorer
Caesar

« on: December 14, 2003, 10:57:09 am »

Hi,

I find this Constans II folis in area captured by Arabs from Byzantine Empire at 638 AD. It is sensible that Byzantine coins of was legal currency in Arab Chalifat? Firstly I though that it is so called Arab-Byzantyne coin, but now I see that is regular Constantinopole issue. Anyone have explaination on this curiose?
corvus
Consul

Welcome to Estonia!

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 07:10:49 am »

even in time of war there was still trading going one... or captured Byz. citizen... or diplomatic envoy...or.. there are hundred of options if you are not sure under what circumstances this coin was find - therefore I believe many of archaeologist are not happy to find coins like this in shops instead their original sites ...especially if some of coin was find from different culture are Smiley
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 01:42:10 pm »

I can't see clearly the regnal year, which is usual for Constans II coins, even if this one is struck on a larger flan than others. A Constans II follis  in a 638 conquered teritory is not a very big issue, for he starts his reign in 641. Local greek communities still existed at this time and probably used their own coins. Also the arab state was  at its very beginning, without chrystalized structures, which explains the presence of arab-byzantine imitations. The trade is out of the question as an explanation in our case, because long distance trade was not made with bronze coins.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...
corvus
Consul

Welcome to Estonia!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 02:00:57 am »

Quote:
"The trade is out of the question as an explanation in our case, because long distance trade was not made with bronze coins. "

I'm wouldn't be so sure abt. this issue - otherwise how you explain 6-8 cent. bronze coins in Estonia? History is always tricky biz. and you can not exclude any of option. As, mentioned place and circumstances under what coin was found are crucial
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 02:40:17 am »

Corvus, a bread is 4 folles, for heaven's sake what trade could be there with 8 folles? Wink Probably some greek fellow bringing a souvenir to some northern friends.

corvus
Consul

Welcome to Estonia!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 03:10:25 am »

I did not mean this particular folli. But savages like we (Estonians) were in 5th century all nice and shiny was demanded  Smiley  Not value but weight and condition does matter in this case, like later centuries with silver!
Think same concerns all those uncounted tribes (coming hell knows from witch part of desert) and started move around in 7th century with Moslem uprising...   Otherwise you might be right abt.souvenirs Smiley
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 05:17:34 am »

Yes, and you are right about history being "tricky", because sometimes common explanations can be more accurate and close to reality than scholar theories. In your case there could be a gift exchange between some greek merchant and a couple of estonian guys rather than an incipient trade relation with baltic territories. Or it could be some coins which slipped from some byzantine pocket in the estonian dust...  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Constans II coins in Arab Chalifat « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop