Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown coin  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Exergus

• Praetorian
unknown coin
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:35:30 am »
Hallo,
I'can't figure out what this coin could be, any help will be appreciated.
mm 14,2
g 1,95
metal looks like copper, I can't say the dies axis cause the orientation of the reverse is random...

Thanks in advance, Exergus
We are all very ignorant, but not all ignorant of the same things.
                                                                Albert Einstein

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Re: unknown coin
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:50 am »
looks provincial to me, maybe roman egypt. But I am not sure. It is a place to start though.
All the best,
Nathan

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:25 am »
I don't think so. It's Greek, probably Zeus on the obverse but that doesn't help much. I have no idea what the reverse is or was.
Rotated 90° to the right it could be a serpent staff, in which case the obverse could be Asklepios. I would search in that direction unless you can exclude the possibility with the coin in hand.
Andreas Reich

Agathodaimon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:38:54 am »
Interesting idea areich : I think you're right : if it is a snake-staff, it's Asklepios on obverse and with this kind of border of dots I think it could be a coin from Kos : it also fits with vertical legend : http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=65067

Offline Exergus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:25 am »
Great! With the coin in hand, now  ::), I can clearly see the snake and the vertical legends.
My coin is smaller than the one on acsearch, could you add some information about this coin? Denomination and an approximate dating perhaps? Something I could write on the tag...

Thank you very much, Exergus
We are all very ignorant, but not all ignorant of the same things.
                                                                Albert Einstein

All coins are guaranteed for eternity