Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: King-Priest variety a regular type?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
King-Priest variety a regular type?
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »
Apparently, the "King-Priest" (lit. the King, the Priest) variety (H470v, TJC K17) of Jannaeus, which is a variety of the regular star-anchor type, is rare, and comes from a single die (TJC).
The fact that the coin says "King-Priest" probably was to rub it in the faces of the Pharisees, because one of the main reasons the Rabbis didn't like the Maccabees and their Hasmonean descendants was because they took both the priestly and royal crown. 
I think this variety may be not a single die variety, but rather, and official issue.
I have found that inscription is very common for this style of coin, with the thin, rounded anchor and star made out of circles attached to thin ray lines.  I have found many coins of this type, but usually the inscription was missing.  In fact, I found more "King-Priest" inscriptions on coins of this type then the regular inscription (The king Yehonatan)
Attached are 3 King-Priest types (the first looks like it might possibly say "the king and priest", "HaMelek VeHakohen"?), and I have rotated the images so the script reads "HMLK HKHN" (המלר הכהן) from bottom right around.  None of these coins share the same reverse die.  I couldn't find any of these coins that share the same die, suggesting a large mintage of this type.
Could this be possible?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: King-Priest variety a regular type?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:28 pm »
How many is many? You could be right, but you'd need to substantiate it.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: King-Priest variety a regular type?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:19 pm »
Yours is not one of these dies either, so thats 4.  All the legible coins of this type have this inscription, from what I can tell.
Can you read the inscription of plate coins of this style?
I found one more coin of this style on EBay, but its badly struck, and the image is dark. I have attached a brightened image of the coin, but the text is too incomplete to tell if its a "king-priest" type.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity