Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
Or is it just a star on Justinian's breastplate?
Worn and difficult to see/photograph!  >:(

BB

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Re: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
Are there any known examples with an inverted chi-rho, do they exist or is this just wear on my coin?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »
I think this is an ordinary  :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>: rather than a backward/inverted one.

Bill R 

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »
Thanks Bill, wishful thinking on my part perhaps  :( still, my first Justinian from Carthage  :)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:07:56 am »
Not to re-open this topic, but just to add a bit more information:

(1) Examples of this type with  :Chi-Rho_reversed2: are known. There is one in the British Museum collection: BMC Justinian I 365

(2) All the specimens with   :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:  (also  :Chi-Rho_reversed2: ) on Justinian’s chest that I have noticed in the literature originate from the third officina:Greek_Gamma: ].

Bill R

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:38:30 am »
IMO the chi-rho at this coin is inverted...

tk

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the info, I didn't know whether the form inwhich the chi-rho appeared on my coin was the standard or not, I was unable to find any pictures of an example on which this area of the coin survived 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity