FORVM ANCIENT COINS
To the glory that was Greece
And the grandeur that was Rome
Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. Put your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?  (Read 838 times)
Xerxes King of Kings
Consul

I am kind...

« on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:33 am »

Or is it just a star on Justinian's breastplate?
Worn and difficult to see/photograph!  Angry

BB

Xerxes King of Kings
Consul

I am kind...

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:41:38 am »

Are there any known examples with an inverted chi-rho, do they exist or is this just wear on my coin?

Abu Galyon
Caesar

Change we can believe in.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »

I think this is an ordinary  Chi-Rho rather than a backward/inverted one.

Bill R 

Xerxes King of Kings
Consul

I am kind...

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »

Thanks Bill, wishful thinking on my part perhaps  Sad still, my first Justinian from Carthage  Smiley

Abu Galyon
Caesar

Change we can believe in.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:07:56 am »

Not to re-open this topic, but just to add a bit more information:

(1) Examples of this type with  Chi-Rho_reversed2 are known. There is one in the British Museum collection: BMC Justinian I 365

(2) All the specimens with   Chi-Rho  (also  Chi-Rho_reversed2 ) on Justinian’s chest that I have noticed in the literature originate from the third officina [  Greek_Gamma ].

Bill R

joma-tk
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38:30 am »

IMO the chi-rho at this coin is inverted...

tk
Xerxes King of Kings
Consul

I am kind...

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:00 am »

Thanks for the info, I didn't know whether the form inwhich the chi-rho appeared on my coin was the standard or not, I was unable to find any pictures of an example on which this area of the coin survived 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop