Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
Or is it just a star on Justinian's breastplate?
Worn and difficult to see/photograph!  >:(

BB

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Re: Sear 259 - Inverted Chi-Rho?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
Are there any known examples with an inverted chi-rho, do they exist or is this just wear on my coin?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »
I think this is an ordinary  :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>: rather than a backward/inverted one.

Bill R 

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »
Thanks Bill, wishful thinking on my part perhaps  :( still, my first Justinian from Carthage  :)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:07:56 am »
Not to re-open this topic, but just to add a bit more information:

(1) Examples of this type with  :Chi-Rho_reversed2: are known. There is one in the British Museum collection: BMC Justinian I 365

(2) All the specimens with   :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:  (also  :Chi-Rho_reversed2: ) on Justinian’s chest that I have noticed in the literature originate from the third officina:Greek_Gamma: ].

Bill R

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:38:30 am »
IMO the chi-rho at this coin is inverted...

tk

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the info, I didn't know whether the form inwhich the chi-rho appeared on my coin was the standard or not, I was unable to find any pictures of an example on which this area of the coin survived 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity