Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd Queen Victoria Coin  (Read 2133 times)

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
Odd Queen Victoria Coin
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:34 am »
I was in an old bric brac shop today looking at a mixture of coins, and came across a silver Queen Victoria coin (or perhaps a commemorative medal), the coin wasn't dated and what was most unusual was that on the reverse it had the same picture of her head but it was cut into the face of the coin and words were in reverse (so it read neeuQ airotciV). I was quite suspicious of it, and I had my doubts that it was really was silver and to be fair even the shop keeper wasn't sure whether it was real or a replica. If it had been cheap enough I would have bought it anyway just for novelty value but he wanted around 50 quid for it. I've searched the internet and had a look in the fake reports here but found nothing. I'm just wonder if anybody else has come across something similar ? 

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Odd Queen Victoria Coin
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:45:45 am »
Andreas Reich

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:13 am »
Yes. like this:

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »
Thanks guys, so there is a chance that this thing could be genuine minting error. Any idea what the respective value would be in comparison to a normally struck coin of the same type ?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »
If the legend reads "Queen Victoria" then the coin must be a colonial piece. All official coins struck for use in Britain have Latin, not English, legends.

Alex.

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:39 am »
Thanks that fits in fine with my current location the shop is in India

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:54 am »
Well I went back the shop today and took a second look at this coin. The definition on the obverse side wasn't as crisp as the definition of the other Queen Victoria coins that they had in the shop. Then I came across a silver George V coin that was also a brockade (what are the chances eh ?). The definition of the obverse on this coin was even less crisp, and when I compared to another silver George V coin of the same size (and bust) it felt some what lighter in the hand. I tested them with a magnet but could only conclude they weren't iron/steel. Previously he let me spin the Queen Victoria coin on a hard surface and the sound didn't seem quite right (although my experience of doing this is a bit limited).  As I said in my first post the shop owner said he wasn't sure if they were genuine or replicas, but its my opinion now is that he was probably just saying this to try to make the sale. At 50 quid a pop I left them well alone.

So magnet test, spinning for the sound, and comparing to other coins (weight & definition) any other methods for checking if silver coins are genuine ?

BCNumismatics

Odd Queen Victoria coin.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:01:07 am »
If the legend reads "Queen Victoria" then the coin must be a colonial piece. All official coins struck for use in Britain have Latin, not English, legends.

Alex.

Alex,
  Only Ceylon,Hong Kong,India,& the Straits Settlements had coins with Queen Victoria's title given in English on their circulation coins.

Aidan.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:34:07 am »
Thanks Aidan, with the information available all I was trying to say was that the coin would not have been issued for use in Britain.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity