Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An old-style Syrian denarius of Julia Domna  (Read 1616 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
An old-style Syrian denarius of Julia Domna
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
My latest Forvm purchase, a Syrian denarius of Julia Domna, is not only rare but a very pleasing specimen.

ALL old-style Syrian denarii of Domna are rare: about as rare as the series of Septimius dated IMP II or IMP VIII, and much scarcer than Septimius' commonest group, those dated COS II.

FORTVN REDVC Fortuna seated is a common type for Septimius, but rare for Domna: not in Paris, BM, or Vienna, quoted by Cohen 66 from the coin dealer Hamburger, none in Reka Devnia hoard. In my casts I have one similar coin, but from different dies and without the pellet following REDVC, which is probably a mere space-filler, but still a variant worth recording.

Julia also has this same seated Fortuna type with legend FORTVNAE REDVCI: Cohen 64 records a specimen in Vienna, and there was another in Reka Devnia.

The new acquisition makes a nice trio with two other denarii in my new collection, both from the same obverse die as the new piece, rev. Hilaritas seated left holding long palm and cornucopia, legend FORTVN REDVC in one case, engraver's error LORTVN REDVC in the other.

Curtis Clay

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: An old-style Syrian denarius of Julia Domna
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »
Great addition!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
Not only a pretty coin, but a fantastic explanation...made me go back through my syrian dens of Septimius!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:16 pm »
It is a beauty.  Since you mentioned it, I'll post a LORTVN with the note that your rudder is a branch on mine.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:26:16 am »
As I said, my LORTVN too shows Hilaritas with palm rather than Fortuna with rudder. It is from the same dies as Doug's coin.

Curtis Clay

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:18 am »
Very nice coin, thanks for sharing.

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
Lovely coin! (How did I miss it? lol)

I have a Syrian Domna with the seated Fortuna with the FORT AVG but not this type.
I was also able to acquire Syrian Domna MONETA AVG with Moneta seated.

Two of my very favorite coins.

Online maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:29 pm »
Reviving an old thread with a couple of new acquisitions.

Firstly an eastern Fortuna seated with rudder of the same type as Curtis' coin but I think that both dies are different.

Secondly a standing version of the same type. I haven't seen any other examples of this type but am assuming that others exist and are known to Curtis or Doug.

Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity