Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back?  (Read 4668 times)

delriogirl

Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back?
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:55 pm »
My boyfriend is in the Army and came found several coins that are ancient while trekking across Sinjar Mountain, Ninawa Provience, N W Iraq by the Serian Border. We have identified some, but the coin below has me stumped. This coing is in Arabic, but has a Star of David on the back. Can anybody help us to identify it? Thanks for your help!

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:13:16 am »
Minted by Al-Awhad Ayyub (596-607 AH) at Mayafariqin(?) in 605 AH.  It names al-'Adil I as the overlord. Al-Awhad Ayyub ruled the principality of the Jazirah during the time of the Ayyubids.

You have the obverse upside down.  It shows the bust of a turbaned prince, with earrings or pendants hanging. Cloak around shoulders, gathered in the center with the left hand.

This is listed in Balog's The Coinage of the Ayyubids as coin 845.

delriogirl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:07 am »
Thank you for the information Mr. Cole. I did  a little research and the fronts of the coins do look similar. However, I wasn't able to find any with the star on the back. Any further information would be greatly appreciated! It's actually the star that keeps throwing us off since it's in Arabic.

Offline alexius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:29:56 am »
A number of Islamic dynasties use this motif (the six pointed star) on coins so don't let that throw you. Mr Cole is quite correct - it can only be Balog 845.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:57:56 am »
Before the six-pointed star became a common Jewish symbol, as the star of David, it was used on many Muslim coins.  It is a common symbol on the coins of Morocco even into modern times. 

delriogirl

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
Thanks bunches! We went onto a site and found the Balog 845. This is pretty close to that! We have others we may be posting on here. He found over 100 and some are Roman, some Arabic, etc.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:51 am »
He found over 100 coins while trekking?
Andreas Reich

delriogirl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:57:17 am »
Yeah...we have pictures of about 75 of them. Some of them are really hard to read because they are worn out. but others are in fantastic condition.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »
Found them on the ground? Incredible.
Andreas Reich

delriogirl

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »
Sorry, he corrected me. He has 78. Are you familiar with these types? I could e mail pictures!

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:13 pm »
Found them on the ground? Incredible.

I don't think we need the headline German man detained in Iran as authorities accuse him of being a spy, but he says he was only looking for coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity