Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 08:23:08 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Steve Minnoch, Varangian, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back?  (Read 1625 times)
delriogirl
Legionary

« on: November 15, 2010, 07:28:55 pm »

My boyfriend is in the Army and came found several coins that are ancient while trekking across Sinjar Mountain, Ninawa Provience, N W Iraq by the Serian Border. We have identified some, but the coin below has me stumped. This coing is in Arabic, but has a Star of David on the back. Can anybody help us to identify it? Thanks for your help!
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »

Minted by Al-Awhad Ayyub (596-607 AH) at Mayafariqin(?) in 605 AH.  It names al-'Adil I as the overlord. Al-Awhad Ayyub ruled the principality of the Jazirah during the time of the Ayyubids.

You have the obverse upside down.  It shows the bust of a turbaned prince, with earrings or pendants hanging. Cloak around shoulders, gathered in the center with the left hand.

This is listed in Balog's The Coinage of the Ayyubids as coin 845.

delriogirl
Legionary

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:02:07 pm »

Thank you for the information Mr. Cole. I did  a little research and the fronts of the coins do look similar. However, I wasn't able to find any with the star on the back. Any further information would be greatly appreciated! It's actually the star that keeps throwing us off since it's in Arabic.
alexius
Consul

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:56 am »

A number of Islamic dynasties use this motif (the six pointed star) on coins so don't let that throw you. Mr Cole is quite correct - it can only be Balog 845.
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:56 am »

Before the six-pointed star became a common Jewish symbol, as the star of David, it was used on many Muslim coins.  It is a common symbol on the coins of Morocco even into modern times. 

delriogirl
Legionary

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:21:11 am »

Thanks bunches! We went onto a site and found the Balog 845. This is pretty close to that! We have others we may be posting on here. He found over 100 and some are Roman, some Arabic, etc.
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:51 am »

He found over 100 coins while trekking?

delriogirl
Legionary

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:57:17 am »

Yeah...we have pictures of about 75 of them. Some of them are really hard to read because they are worn out. but others are in fantastic condition.
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:13:53 am »

Found them on the ground? Incredible.

delriogirl
Legionary

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:50:25 am »

Sorry, he corrected me. He has 78. Are you familiar with these types? I could e mail pictures!
ecoli
Caesar

Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:05:13 am »

Found them on the ground? Incredible.

I don't think we need the headline German man detained in Iran as authorities accuse him of being a spy, but he says he was only looking for coins.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Steve Minnoch, Varangian, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Islamic/Arabic coin with Star of David on back? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop