Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: parafin wax use  (Read 3046 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
parafin wax use
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:46:17 am »
Hi,

Recently I've purchased several roman and some byzantine coins,
which were treated with parafin wax. Although I like the appearance
which the parafin gives to most of them, and makes the tiny detail visible,
I'm not sure that it's save for a long term use on coins. Should I leave
them as they are? Can the parafin damage the coin surfaces in some way
after longer storage, and is it proper for use at all?
Thanks in advance

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: parafin wax use
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »
If you are referring to Renaissance or Conservator's Wax, it will not harm your coins.  It is a microcrystalline wax used for these purposes.  Many collectors use it and many don't.  I think it is a personal preferrence.  I have used it on some coins, but not on others.  It depends on if I feel it should be used.

If it is actually parafin wax, I would probably remove it. 

To find out more, just type in wax, renaissance wax, or conservators wax in the search engine for this site and you will get more than you wanted to know.

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:35:24 pm »

Why would you remove the parafin wax ? So it actually
can damage the coins, or what? I know many collectors here
in Europe that used it for years, what can be the problem?
I know that Ren and Conservator's are the best for the purpose,
but what is the hazard, if any, using parafin or some other wax?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:48 pm »
Well, nothing I know of really. Some people use bees wax. As long as t is just wax with no perfumes or dyes I guess I woudnt worry. So, unless someone else chimes in and says otherwise it should be fine. I recant my orignal post saying remove it.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:43 am »
I would prefer to use a wax specially developed for conservation.  Wax might be on your coins for hundreds of years, quite long enough for even small impurities to have an effect.  Quite probably you don't know what tiny impurities might be present in any particular batch of paraffin wax.  So while I can't say that paraffin wax would be bad for coins, I would prefer not to take the chance. 

Actually I very rarely use any wax on coins, because it changes their appearance; and a more reflective surface makes them harder to photograph. 

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 03:15:12 am »
Collectors also used Zaponlack (a type of varnish) for years, so that is hardly an argument.
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:46 pm »
Collectors also used Zaponlack (a type of varnish) for years, so that is hardly an argument.

Cellulose nitrate in various volatile solvents, according to German Wikipedia.  Said to protect against tarnishing or oxidation of brass and silver, but not against rusting of iron.  I would definitely prefer a modern formulation, which is more likely to be safe over hundreds of years; that is, if I wanted to use something that would prevent the process of patination.

I also found this on line: "Zapon-Lack was also used for a short time from in the early 20th century as an isolating varnish for paintings, however it was found to turn yellow with age (Doerner 1934)."

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity