Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange silver coin among uncleaned Roman lot  (Read 1167 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Strange silver coin among uncleaned Roman lot
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:54:11 am »
I don't possess any of this kind of coins; suspect it may by byzantine? Apparently this coin was found in the UK. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Re: Strange silver coin among uncleaned Roman lot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:32:41 am »
Your coin has a Spanish Feel.  I believe the two 'columns' represent the Pillars of Hercules.  Perhaps it is a medieval Real from Aragon or Castile?

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:45 am »
Another place to look is Spanish Italy of the 16th & 17th Centuries.  You should have some fun attributing this coin.  :)

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:29 am »
Isnt;'t it an H instead of two pillars?

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:12:27 pm »
Isnt;'t it an H instead of two pillars?

It could be an "H", but the Pillars of Hercules are attached by a ribbon and this could make the device look like an "H".  I'm still leaning to Spanish Sicily & Naples.  I haven't been able to find a match yet, but I'm getting closer.

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »
It looks like "M"

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:38 pm »
Try to clean it with pure water and soft brush. Maybe we can see better after that.

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »
I even tried lemon juice after water and a brush but can't get it cleaner.

seth

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
its a liard of henri d'albret 1516-1555, a similar coin you may find here : http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/vso/v22/fr/monnaiesda2b.html

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »
Thanks for solving this one Andrei.

Zeeuwsepiep, sorry if I put you on a 'wild goose chase'.  Turns out what appeared to me as the "Pillars of Hercules" really was an "H" after all.  I'm glad your coin was been properly identified.  I had some fun searching, but I was looking in the right era, but wrong area.

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
Amazing and impressive! I don't understand how you managed to find this ID was thanks very much!

seth

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »
no need to be impressed, ive seen this coin before and kept the features in the back of my mind. now i see it again and know where to look for it.
plus the new found interest in anything medieval brought by my new focus on crusader and hungarian coinage helped alot in remembering the specs of this type.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity