Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nepotian  (Read 2897 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Nepotian
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »
Does one of their names rhyme with gosh?

Or with horny    :evil:

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 02:54:46 pm »
Well,

one of my recent threads on a coin very likely to be fake is from this auction house. I do not like the fact that after the coin was not sold due to the problems I pointed out they now do offer it for sale among their unsolds, although they have the facts and they agreed that there is a problem.

I also see that in Füeg's recent book on nomisma this auction house is prominently cited with fakes. No hidden names there!

A further general problem is that forgers probably know very well, where they can inject their fakes into the market...

In my view they do deserve open crititcism, I have another baffling story to this in another thread, also not naming them openly, but as I would say in German:

Das Maß ist voll! (means something like enough is enough!)

byzcoll

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 09:34:41 am »
Joe, after reading this thread, and at the risk of being hit with "The wrath of Joe", at what point does a "reputable" seller become eligible to be listed as a fake seller?  i.e. It's all well and good closing ranks amongst professional dealers, but as with any industry there are bad companies.  And if this seller appears to be either slightly crooked, or at best frequently incompetent, shouldn't they be listed?
regards
Mark

There is some point, of course, but it isn't a firm point in my head.  This seller has certainly not passed that point yet.  I am much more concerned about listing eBay sellers that beginners are more likely to encounter than an auction house that primarily serves the more experienced collector and which will refund if a coin is fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 11:51:40 am »
If they'll refund when a coin is fake, but not PULL a coin for sale when informed that it is fake...isn't that MORE deceptive than your standard ebay fakeseller? Especially when a guarantee of authenticity is either stated or implied?

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »
If they'll refund when a coin is fake, but not PULL a coin for sale when informed that it is fake...isn't that MORE deceptive than your standard ebay fakeseller? Especially when a guarantee of authenticity is either stated or implied?

Galaxy, whilst I understand your logic, Joe has made it clear that he isn't ready to add this dealer to the list.  He will have his reasons for that decision, and as this is his site, we need to respect his views and decisions.  From past observations, he is very much his own man, and no amount of cajoling will change his mind.  So best to stop beating this deceased equine :)
regards
Mark

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:31 pm »

Fair enough.
In the future, if I'm talking about a fake coin, and I tug discreetly on my nose, it means I'm referring to a European Auction house. If I wiggle my ears, it's an American auction house. That way we avoid any confusion and also avoid breaking any rules ;)

gavignano

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 08:47:47 pm »
I am interested to hear Freddy's report on:
1. if the auction house replies to him
2. what they say
3. if they are going to contact the buyers and offer a refund

All coins are guaranteed for eternity