Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What are the raised green spots on this Philip II Tetradrachm?  (Read 615 times)

Gabe

What are the raised green spots on this Philip II Tetradrachm?
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:03:33 am »
13.12 gram 
25 mm

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: What are the raised green spots on this Philip II Tetradrachm?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:27 am »
The obvious answer is copper oxide, but this is usually only seen on a tetradrachm from a “debased” series that naturally contains a higher proportion of copper, such as seen in the Roman provincial coins from Alexandria or Syria. It is a bit of a worry when combined with the fact that the coin is about 1 gram too light for a normal example. 

Best Regards,
Steve 

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »
Are you guys sure that it is not a fouree? There looks to be a break in the silver on the bridge of his nose. If it is a fouree then that would also explain the green globs.

Chris

EDIT: the 5oclock on the rev seems to have a chunck missing from the plating as well
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:05:53 pm »
Are you guys sure that it is not a fouree? There looks to be a break in the silver on the bridge of his nose. If it is a fouree then that would also explain the green globs.

Chris

Chris
I gave some "twins" before,check them

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »
I did. :) I am simply commenting on what I see on the coin pictured. I have a couple of thickly plated greek fourees that in the break areas they curl up like that with noticable edges. You are more likely correct though.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity