Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nepotian  (Read 2900 times)

freddy

Nepotian
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:47:24 am »
genuine or fake or tooled?

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Nepotian
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:09:26 am »
Tooled. Ugh.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

freddy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »
from same seller

freddy

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:21:56 pm »
and this

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:17:19 pm »
These are good :D (as in awful!)

That is the most coiffed I've ever seen Pupienus' beard. Usually it's a tangled mess ;)

Something that always surprises me is the desire by the "engraver" to give clog-like shoes to the figures on the reverse. Same engraver?

mz

p.s. Have you seen the others in the "Badly-tooled coins here" thread in the "Ancient Coins Forum" topic?

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »
All three are disasters! Please tell me he hasn't done this to more - 3 is bad enough. Its a three way tie for which one is the worst.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »
'He' is not some small-time Ebay crook either.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:54:20 pm »
I suspect these are complete fakes, not just tooled to sharpen details.  So, perhaps both fake and tooled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

freddy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
Should this seller be on fake sellers list?

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:03:33 pm »
I suspect these are complete fakes, not just tooled to sharpen details.  So, perhaps both fake and tooled.

I agree. They have the look of fakes even beyond the horrible tooling. Doing this to genuine coins, especially to scarce ones, should be a capital offense!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »
Should this seller be on fake sellers list?

Nominate the seller if you think so.  (Include the eBay user name and a link to their list of items for sale.)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

freddy

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18:19 pm »
 seller is [REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:11 pm »
The list is for eBay sellers and eBay auctions.  These were not eBay auctions.  Also, seller is a reputable dealer and not going on the list (though I think they are making a mistake with these).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

freddy

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 04:52:13 pm »
Thank you for explanation.
But just to inform myself about rules, and to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.
If I understand well, if a reputable seller sold an obvious faked or tooled coin, the rule says not to write and hide his name from other people, and if he is not famous, than is allowed to write his name? And one more thing, if a famous seller sells fake or tooled coin on Ebay, is than allowed to write his name? If possible, can I get a list of untouchable sellers who can sell fakes, but which names should be protected.
  Thank you in advance for your help, I will appreciate your response.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »
Perhaps the best thing would be to notify the seller in question regarding these particular items. I do not know who the seller is; I did not see the name before it was removed. I do believe, however, that a reputable seller will remove fakes if brought to their attention.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
They know and they don't care.
Andreas Reich

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 06:06:21 pm »
They know, they don't care, and we don't know who they are? How are we supposed to protect ourselves from fake coins if we can't protect ourselves from dealers who sell fake coins due to a blanket-cloak of anonymity?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »
Without naming names, it's a German auction house that (for their own reasons) are strongly opposed to having their data archived on sites like acsearch.info. I have drawn my own conclusion what those reasons are and I think so can anybody else.

The Pupienus was withdrawn, I guess that was a little too much.
Andreas Reich

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 06:54:00 pm »
strongly opposed to having their data archived on sites like acsearch.info.

even in sixbid... very strange practice, sure.
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:28:22 pm »
If such be the case, I would suggest they may not be so reputable after all, whomever they are.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

freddy

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 04:13:24 am »
Two coins have been sold, "Nepotian" paid 1,500.00 EUR, and "Maxentius" paid 2,600.00 EUR, the third coin has been withdrawn.
 I'll contact Auction house and ask them to advise customers who bought problematic coins about problem and to return money to them, or to give me contact e-mail, phone or other address , so I can inform customers about problem.
 Of course, I'll let you know about response of Auction house, and if Auction house doesn't response, should it's name be protected or not? Please answer to me.
 Also, I don't understand why my post has been removed. I didn't charge Auction house, I just wrote that Auction house sold these "coins". Is that true? Yes, they sold them, with no doubt, there is a proof on their own site. So, I can't see reason for removing my post.
 I have read rules of this site, and I haven't found the part which says that it is not allowed to publish the truth.
 If really it is not allowed to write the truth, I apologize because I broke a rule.
 If Auction house, who works for many years with a lots of experience with ancients, sells fakes, they obviously know that, and it is not mistake, why it is necessary to hide the truth and protect their name?

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
Joe, after reading this thread, and at the risk of being hit with "The wrath of Joe", at what point does a "reputable" seller become eligible to be listed as a fake seller?  i.e. It's all well and good closing ranks amongst professional dealers, but as with any industry there are bad companies.  And if this seller appears to be either slightly crooked, or at best frequently incompetent, shouldn't they be listed?
regards
Mark

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
The vast majority of their coins are fine. Just like with many auction houses they offer too many coins that are tooled.
Mostly they are described as such, but many are not. If that is just incompetence (or there is simply not enough time devoted to screening the coins) than they are not very reputable in my book but not crooks or frauds. They are people I will not buy from, their catalogs are still unopened and probably will remain so until I throw them away. There are plenty of anecdotes of arrogant behavior from people that have visited their store which is again something that makes me not want to go there. There are several other good dealers in that city. The fact that they refuse to make their data available to acsearch.info is another reason but completely understandable of course. 
Andreas Reich

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 11:29:22 am »
Does one of their names rhyme with gosh?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »
Yes.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity