Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carissa T Before & After: Rd 14  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Carissa T

• Legionary
Carissa T Before & After: Rd 14
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
Yay! Just got my entry coins yesterday and it looks like I will be running the gamut from really easy to really challenging.... really big to really small.... good lot for me because it's my first try at this!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Carissa T before
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »
That is a good lot! Welcome to the contest and good luck! :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Carissa T

• Legionary
Re: Carissa T before
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
Well it's been a while but I'm back. Here are my results. Embarrassing as they may be.

#1...... who knows.

#2:

The encrustations on this coin were really bad. There was a little detail under the ones on the obverse but overall there was a lot of damage under there.

Justin II 565-578AD follis

Obverse:
Justin left and Sophia right, sitting facing both holding globe with cross.
D.N. IVSTINVS PP.AVG

Reverse: Large “M” with cross above, “ANNO” to left, “G” to right (regnal year 5), delta below (officina), CON in ex. (Constantinople mint)

(SB 360)

reference:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0360.t.html

#3 (just a guess..):

Constantine I 307-337AD AE4

Obverse: GLORIA EXERCITVS (?)

Reverse: Soldiers stg. either side of one standard.  

(S3887)

reference:
http://wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s3887.t.html

#4:

Valentinian I  364-375AD   AE4

Obverse legend:
DNVALENTINI ANVSPFAVG

Reverse:
Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm branch.
SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE

(S4103)

reference:
http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/102/102i.htm

#5 (another guess):

The reverse of this one I hardly touched.... but apparently from being handled, the dirt came off and made it harder to see than when I started!

Constantius II or Iulianus II 357-361 AD AE4

Obverse: DNCONSTAN TIVSPFAVG (?)

Reverse: Emperor standing left with spear and globe. SPES REIPVBLICE

reference: http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/117/117i.htm

Offline Carissa T

• Legionary
Re: Carissa T Before & After: Rd 14
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »
Oh and I did not smash that coin on purpose. I had spent HOURS on it trying to get some kind of detail out of it and just when I thought I was getting somewhere that happened to it.

Offline Carissa T

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:17 am »
Here are some close ups of the smaller coins. They are tiny, 11 - 15 mm. The order is 4, 5, 3.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:49:32 am »
Oh and I did not smash that coin on purpose. I had spent HOURS on it trying to get some kind of detail out of it and just when I thought I was getting somewhere that happened to it.

Ouch.  I have never seen a bronze coin do that but the photo shows that it had very unusual internal corrosion.  Clearly not your fault.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:57 pm »
Ouch.  I have never seen a bronze coin do that but the photo shows that it had very unusual internal corrosion.  Clearly not your fault.

I've smashed a few coins in my time. More often crystallised silver. MY Republican bronzes seem to be immune to bronze disease, possibly because of the high lead content (not sure what that does). Or it may be that I rarely buy cleaned bronzes (prefer a little residual crustiness), and I NEVER clean my coins. Someone on this list remarked a while back that rampant bronze disease almost always has to relate to human intervention (because logically speaking, if the coin had such a big problem when in the ground 2000 years ago it would have disintegrated 1995 years ago).

One time I bought an evidently fragile but entire crystallised silver coin and received a small bag of dusty fragments. I didn't complain - I got what I knew I was buying.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity