Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hoard cleaning  (Read 1433 times)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Hoard cleaning
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:49 am »
I have been asked to clean and document a 152 coin hoard mostly byzantine anonymous folles as far as I can tell. They are uniformly covered as noted.
I did a test clean with DW and a tooth brush and I have the picture of results. Identifiable but obviously worn, is my opinion.

I have several questions.

I really do not like the result of DW and brushing, yet the patina is so fragile I am not sure they will tolerate cleaning in any meaningful way.

Any suggestions for cleaning?

The one I cleaned is rather worn, is this a result of corrosion or might they have been placed at site find worn?

I would welcome any thoughts and opinions.

cw

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Hoard cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:15:13 am »
Wiley,

Looking at the image of the hoard it appears that most coins might have a very very tricky patina on them - ie a soft powdery patins under a fairly hard soil.  If this assumption is indeed correct then it will make any cleaning very difficult.

Even though it increases your work load I would strongly advise you to get something with separate trays  - even just some cheap plastic screw holders or part holders that you can buy at a hardware store or dollar store.

Then place each coin in a separate compartment and add a number tag in the compartment.  As there is obviously no longer any internal stratigraphic evidence - ie which coin was at top of container and which was at bottom (if indeed they were found in a container) - you can simply put each coin into its compartment in whatever order you wish.

Then photograph both sides of each coin now, as is, pre-cleaning, to document what is there.  Though you might not see much detail yet that will at least preserve some image in case some coins have patinas the crumble away completely.

I would also note weight and diameter of each example at this stage and anything you can already tell through the dirt - ie what class of anonymous follis.

Then you will have to make a call based on how powdery the patina of each coin is.

Worst case, if the patina is very powdery even soaking in DW can cause damage as the patina can disolve away and then the when the dirt comes off there is absolutely no detail left underneath.  Frankly, in these cases your only real choice is to perhaps wax the coin as is (ie pre- DW soak) to try to stabilize it and see how well you can attribute it then.

If the patina is somewhat more stable then you next challenge will be to soften the dirt.  Here you have DW, baking soda and Gringotts mixes (in roughly increasing order).  I would try to re-photograph or at least re-examine each coin the first time you wet it in case you lose more detail with further soaks.

With these potentially crappy patinas you might be faced with the fact that whatever you do the patinas will be effectively stripped.  Frankly, if the patina is in such a poor condition anyway that would be sad but inevitable and if the results revealed some interesting hoard data then it would be well worth it.

As you probably know, these anonymous folles can be very worn - they circulated for a long time in some parts of the Balkans and the East.  Some were also poorly struck with limited detail to begin with.  Overall the one you cleaned has average or less wear but does appear to have suffered from corrosion which gives it that grainy-ness and thus blurs the details somewhat.  Unless I am wrong and the patina is much more stable than it looks in the photo you might be lucky to get them all to look like the one you have cleaned.

Good luck.  I await comments from others and to hear more on your progress.

Hopefully you will be able to share details with us of the breakdown of types/classes, weight, diamater, die position, etc.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Hoard cleaning
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »
Shawn

It does not take much to crumble the patina, no gringotts needed here. I do plan on weighing each before and after. Thanks for your input, helpful thoughts.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity