Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attribution Challenge  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Attribution Challenge
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:43 am »
This coin arrived tagged Tabaristan, Autonomous AE Fals, bust left holding falcon?, overstruck on two-bust type. Rare.

3.521g, 20.mm.

We can't find it anywhere.  I checked the various Mitchiner volumes but did not spot it.  Anyone know this type?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
Re: Attribution Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:11:06 pm »
A Google search produced several snippets from The Numismatic Chronicle,
Volume 151, of the Royal Numismatic Society (Great Britain) 1991, mentioning
coins showing a man holding a hawk or falcon. There are also references to
plates:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=JdbUTMP8FoP-8Aa4gdmaBg&ct=result&id=tuG7AAAAIAAJ&dq=holding+falcon+coin&q=falcon#search_anchor

Maybe someone who has the volume, or access to it, would be willing to check this out. Jim Anderson

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:26 pm »
Hi,

The paper you cite is about Arab-Byzantine coins with an M on the reverse (from memory) so sadly do not match this.

The closest I could come up with was the series labelled as Autonomous Persian in  S Album's "Marsden's Numismata Orientalia" which had a number of specimens, albeit different, from Tabariz.

Regards,

mauseus

dltcoins

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »
My educated guess is that this coin belongs to the Arab-Sasanian series (or perhaps contemporary autonomous parts of what had been the Sasanian empire but not yet under Arab control). The "two-bust" type referred to would in that case be similar to the photo below, an imitation of the coinage of Heraclius. I checked the Ashmolean Sylloge (SICA-1), Album's Checklist and the zeno.ru database but could not find a match for your coin. I would suggest also checking Rika Gyselen, Arab-Sasanian Copper Coinage, Osterreichischen Akademie Der Wissenschaften, Wien (2000). Unfortunately, I don't own a copy.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »
This is not an Arab-Byzantine or Arab-Sassanian coin.  I believe it is what is called Iranian Civic Copper coinage.  This coinage was minted from Iran to Afghanistan.

P.S.  Just checked all of my references for Iranian Civic coinage and there is nothing like this.  I wonder if it is Armenian?

dltcoins

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 12:47:25 am »
Mr. Cole's idea may have some merit. I hadn't considered the much later "civic" coppers, assuming there was some basis to the description that came with the coin. Tabaristan's "autonomous" coinage belongs to the Arab-Sasanian period and I'm having a little trouble picturing the obverse image in a late-enough context to fall under the "Iranian Civic" category. Of course, whoever labeled the coin may not have known any more than we do. I still tend to think it's Arab-Sasanian, but I also like the way Howard is thinking. Whatever this coin is, I rather like it...

Joe, how much might I expect to pay for it not to be your worry any longer? :)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 11:12:51 am »
One thing that actually holds me back from making more money is an obsesive compulsive need to identify everything to the nth degree.  I sometimes spend a whole day on $25 coin.  No joke, it is beyond reason.  I am not sure I can give up on this one.  :) 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »
Could be double struck. It's not Armenian.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity