Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Istros 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Istros  (Read 1416 times)
benito
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« on: October 11, 2010, 05:25:20 am »

This could be of interest to an antiquites or even a coin collector. Eagle with dolphin  Istros type. Is it authentic  ?

rover1.3
Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:27:33 am »

Istros,Sinope,Olbia..

Very interesting if authentic.
Lloyd Taylor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:43:45 am »

Istros,Sinope,Olbia..

Looks like its been designed to be secured by five screws - suggesting a modern origin.  The overall form is also suggestive of a modern rendition of an ancient theme.
Lloyd Taylor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:55:29 am »

Also I suspect that it is brass rather than bronze, but this is difficult to be certain about based on the photo alone. Brass = modern origin.  It looks like something that was attached to the paneling of a modern ship or boat, perhaps plying the waters of the Black Sea. To my eye, it has the patina of a modern brass marine fitting.  Attractive nonetheless. I wouldn't mind one to stick on my boat (when I get one!)
benito
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:13:04 am »

Istros,Sinope,Olbia..

[/quote

Definetely Istros. The dorsal is quite back. For Olbia more forward.

benito
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:39 am »

Istros,Sinope,Olbia..

[/quote

Forgot the photo.

rover1.3
Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:34:55 am »

The idea matters,and the idea is common on these 3 cities.Rendition varies from hand to hand.
These 3 Milesian colonies shared the same reverse,probably to symbolize Greek control over Black Sea.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Istros « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop