Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian  (Read 2835 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »
My father-in-law was raised in Panama in a military family.  He still goes there all the time, and has this pre-columbian amulet.

From my understanding, it would have been worn as jewelery.  He also has some pottery, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some more light on this piece. 

I really haven't been able to find much information.  It most likely is due to my total lack of knowledge in this area.

Thanks!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Not Ancient but Pre-Columbian
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:39:34 am »
Forgot to add that the only thing that I can think it to be is a Shamanistic / Demonistic pendant where shaman or demonic pre-columbian gold designs depicted a shaman dressed in mask or costume or a demonistic figure.  Or it is just depicting a man.  I think that the shamanistic stuf usually has grotesque depictions for facial features.

Not sure if anyone else can get me farther than this.

dltcoins

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:49:30 pm »
Hey thanks!  I will have to read this.  I appreciate the help.  I hope this does answer my questions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity