Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Coin Cleopatra Thea Question  (Read 1293 times)

amanapro

Greek Coin Cleopatra Thea Question
« on: October 11, 2010, 04:10:57 am »
Someone showed the Greek silver coin of Cleopatra Thea, 126-125 Tetradrachm. It is diademed, draped and veiled bust of Cleopatra Thea right. Rev. double-cornucopiae tied with fillet.
My question is the coin weight is 41.10 g, but when I search the net i did not find that kind of weight for this coin. it was only somewhere between 15 to 16 g. So can a weight of such coin exist?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Greek Coin Cleopatra Thea Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:55 am »
At that weight it would have to be a Deacadrachm, and I don't know of that denomination with a portrait of Cleopatra, but I'm certainly no expert on these huge silvers.

Here is one of Arsinoe II under Ptolemy II that could be similar to what you describe? with a weight of 35.86gm. At 41.1 your coin seems even heavy for this type as they seem pretty consistant at around 35.5gm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity