Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID req. Medieval copper, hungarian ?  (Read 895 times)

Offline Zaph0dd

• Consul
ID req. Medieval copper, hungarian ?
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »
Hi there

Looking for a ID on this little copper,

18mm in diameter, about 1/2-3/4 mm thin, unable to provide a weight.

Obverse has a right facing crowned portrait, bearded and quite a miserable looking chap, some lettering but I cannot make out any of it for sure, style suggests perhaps 14-16th centuries ?

Reverse has 4 Crowns? with Lis? inter spaced in a cross design surrounded by a wreath?.

Manzikert

Re: ID req. Medieval copper, hungarian ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »
Hi

I'm pretty sure this is an issue of Philip II of Spain (definitely a miserable looking chap) for the Spanish Netherlands. The 'crowns' on the reverse are actually the 'briquets' or 'fire steels' from the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

Unfortunately I can't offer more than that as I have no references for this period.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Zaph0dd

• Consul
Re: ID req. Medieval copper, hungarian ?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »
Many thanks Alan,

With this info i've managed to track down a bunch from a auction sale, it appears that mine is average in appearnace for these crude things.

Its a Gigot of Philip II, Spanish Netherlands.

Lot 101
http://prestige.delcampe.net/page/main/action,catalog,Veilinghuis-Eeckhout-bvba,Veiling-Vente-Auction-4-Coins-Medals-Banknotes-1-2-May-2010,catalog,121,category,30954,0,Coins-Early-Modern-Period-Spaanse-Nederlanden-Pays-Bas-Espagnoles-Spanish-Netherlands-Filips-II-Philippe,language,E.html

http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/088/880/291_001.jpg

All coins are guaranteed for eternity