Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: silver drachm help please  (Read 474 times)

Gwendolynrain

silver drachm help please
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:04:21 pm »
I think I've been here before, years ago maybe, trying to identify this coin.  If so, please excuse me being here again.  This coin just always haunts me and I want to know what it is.
Thanks

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: silver drachm help please
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:44:47 pm »
Rhegium in bruttium

barry Murphy

Gwendolynrain

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:56:30 am »
Thank you.  After much internet exploring I have found this information.  Messene or Messana  AR stater.  488/7-461 BCperiod 1.  Bruttium Rhegium Silver Drachm.  lion/calf.  Now, after much exploring, I have only found one website indicating authentication.  It is quite expensive.  Any suggestions on how to authenticate?
 Thanks again! Angie

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:20:35 am »
I was looking at your post last night, and thinking about this coin...I saw the Bruttium connection but didn't post since I am way out of my element when I venture beyond Parthia.  But, having said that....

FYI, if you do a search on "Rhegion" or "Samos" at Coinarchives.com/a/, you'll see a number of other lion's head ancients.

I do have concerns about your coin...not based on anything definitive, since I'm not familiar with the series it is ostensibly from.  And, in any event, I'm always paranoid about this stuff, so don't invest too much thought into my observations.

But the lion's heads on most other coins from Rhegion or Samos (at least the ones I've seen online) always seem cramped on the flan, with the outer edges of the head often cropped at the edges.  The lion's head on yours is much smaller in relation to the surface area, and perfectly centered on axis, and with that curious secondary partial curve of dots - which I've also not seen before.  But, again, the fact that I've never seen it amounts to nothing since I don't collect coins from those regions and freely admit my ignorance.

The surfaces on your coin are exceptionally clean as best I can see in the photos: no scratches, corrosion, no evidence of porosity, etc...I don't know if this should be a cause for celebration or concern, however.

I think seeking authentication/certification is prudent...I know that David Sear offers the service (http://davidrsear.com/certification.html), as does the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (http://www.ngccoin.com/ancients/index.aspx)...but their service includes encapsulation, I think.

If authentic, it's a terrific coin...congrats on owning!

Gwendolynrain

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:27:03 am »
Thanks for the info.  Look at these coins...they are almost identical!
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=similar%3A52757&view_mode=1#0

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:53:55 am »
Yes, indeed...that's encouraging!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity