Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver quinarius with bird on reverse?  (Read 355 times)

Daimonion

Silver quinarius with bird on reverse?
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:47:29 am »
Hello,

can you help me identify this coin?

link: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xKeAA36pLzlaN5sXFnv6UA?feat=directlink

The metal seems to be silver and the coin looks ancient for me. It has a diameter of 13 - 15,5 mm and a weight of 1,5 g. The size and the weight corresponds with size and weight of silver quinarius but I couldn't find any with bird.

Thanks for help!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Silver quinarius with bird on reverse?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:45 am »
Hi,

It isn't Roman but Cambodian (or Vietnamese) I believe from the 17th or 18th century. Others will be able to help you more.

[BROKEN IMAGE LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Regards,

Mauseus

Daimonion

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:23:17 am »
Thanks for identification. This uniface coin is silver Fuang and was hand - struck in Cambodia from 1650 to 1847. The bird pictured on the coin is called Hamsa. I bought it as a roman coin and I realy thought it's roman maybe because of the hand - struck look  :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:40 am »
I had a similar one once and was very surprised that it wasn't even old. To me, it looks more hand made than yours but is from the 19th maybe even the very beginning of the 20th century.

Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity