Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A couple greeks. Seleucid??  (Read 346 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
A couple greeks. Seleucid??
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »
Here are two greek coins I cleaned but can't identify.   From the lot they came in, I was able to attribute the other coins from the Seleucid kingdom.   After looking through books and online I can't figure what might be on the reverse of these two coins at all.  Also there is some writing on the reverse of each that almost looks like scratches or hash marks, but they are raised and struck on the coin.  I can't make out the writing either.    Any info would be great Thanks.......
Danny

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: A couple greeks. Seleucid??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:28 pm »
Here are two greek coins I cleaned but can't identify.   From the lot they came in, I was able to attribute the other coins from the Seleucid kingdom.   After looking through books and online I can't figure what might be on the reverse of these two coins at all.  Also there is some writing on the reverse of each that almost looks like scratches or hash marks, but they are raised and struck on the coin.  I can't make out the writing either.    Any info would be great Thanks.......
Danny

You can help others help you by giving very basic info like size, weight, axis.

They look like ~20mm common local/civic issues of Phoenicia, Arados - Zeus/Ship Prow, Phoenician script writing below the ship prow.  Photos here show the reverses 'upside-down'.  You should have no trouble matching on Wildwinds.   Not Seleukid but from the same general area (northern coast of Lebanon near Marathos) and not surprising if mixed in with Seleukid coins.

PtolemAE

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:39:28 pm »
You were exactly right.   Thanks!!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »
You were exactly right.   Thanks!!

excellent.

hint:  pocket change coins like a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, etc. make excellent little size guages.  you could put one in the photo next to your coin.  giving basic information on coin size doesn't take special equipment; just a moment's thought.  and it really helps people help you. 

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity