Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Share your rarest coin  (Read 37545 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Share your rarest coin
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:42 am »
That is a nice Probus coin Norman!  +++

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2016, 01:04:30 am »
This coin isn't the prettiest and the photography is just from a camera phone... Also, i don't know if it's my "rarest" but I've been searching for another example. There are similar but... nothing matching that I've seen. I posted it before in this thread (link below) earlier and would welcome someone pointing out another example!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=95856.0

IVLIA MAMAEA AVG
COL FL PAC DEVL (under wing) T
24mm

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2016, 01:43:33 am »
My rarest was purchased here from FORVM, ex. Andrew McCabe collection and actually Andrew himself is the one who pointed out how rare this coin was and why I should buy it. This semis is from the Crawford 41 series of anonymous postsemilibral bronzes. This series includes both cast and struck semises but Crawford only knew of a single example of the struck semis. More are known now, but even so this coin remains extremely rare. This example is quite worn and underweight(likely due to being overstruck) but is a die match to one in Russo's paper in anonymous bronzes from Essays Hersh and even in the state it's in is one of my favorite bronzes in my collection.

Roman Republic Æ Semis(18.688g, 30mm). Anonymous post-semilibral series, 215-212 BC. Rome mint. Laureate head of Saturn right, S behind/Prow of galley right, S above, ROMA below. Russo p. 140, 2 and pl. 16, 10 (same dies); McCabe Anonymous A1.Sm.2; Crawford 41/6e. Ex. Andrew McCabe.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »
One of three know from this Thraco-Macedonian tribe:

Moriaseis, Thrace
185-168 B.C
Bronze Æ 19
5.89 gm, 19 mm
Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right
Rev.: Six-rayed star; M-OP-IA-ΣE-Ω-N between rays
Katalog Münzauktion Essen 64 (1992) no. 47;
P.R. Franke, MOPIAΣEΩN - Die erste Münze eines bislang unbekannten thrakisch-makedonischen Stammes, in: V. Spinoi - L. Munteanu, Miscellanea numismatica antiquitatis in honorem septagenarii magistri Virgilii Mihailescu, Bucarest 2008, p. 67-68.

Here it is with it's brothers:

The three known coins of the Thraco-Macedonian tribe known as the Moriaseis as spoken of by Pliny, "in the coastal region of Pontos live Moriseni and Siton, the ancestors of the singer Orpheus" (Nat. History 4, 41).

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 03:55:53 pm »
As many have said.... It's quite easy to obtain rare, but not valuable coins.. ( I wish I had some which were both... But that's unlikely to happen!)

This is probably my rarest... The same type is recorded , but without the wheel... One has to wonder what the wheel signifies...

Ionia, Phocaea. Pseudo-autonomous issue. Between -30 and 276 AD.
Obv. ΦΩΚΕΑ, Turreted and draped bust of Tyche right
Rev. Griffin standing right, left forepaw on wheel

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 09:59:26 am »
My new rarest coin, which arrived yesterday.  It is the second known, and the only one in private hands.

SICILY: The Mamar, c. 409 to 403 BC (and therefore the earliest bronze man-faced bull coin). Unfortunately, there probably has been some restoration by a modern hand on the reverse portrait, though the G&M lightning exaggerates it.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2016, 04:50:12 pm »
My new rarest coin, which arrived yesterday.  It is the second known, and the only one in private hands.

SICILY: The Mamar, c. 409 to 403 BC (and therefore the earliest bronze man-faced bull coin). Unfortunately, there probably has been some restoration by a modern hand on the reverse portrait, though the G&M lightning exaggerates it.

It's always very satisfying to add such rarities! Congrats on your new acquisition.

BTW, I presume the other specimen is in a public collection?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
Yes, but I don't have the museum name on hand at the moment.  Here is one equally as rare, the 2nd known, from NeapolisTaliercio was uncertain of the letters in exergue but this example reveals it is the pervasive IS. Normally I wouldn't have bid since the MFB face is worn flat, but the rarity changed my mind.

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
My two rare hybrids. 2x TRP XIX !!
1. denarius
      Lucius Verus / Marcus Aurelius
      RIC 515 / RIC 125
2. sestertius
      Lucius Verus / Marcus Aurelius
      RIC 1426 / RIC 908-910
not listed

Oliver K

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2016, 12:44:18 pm »
How can I load the pics here ?

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:46 pm »
ROMAN EMPIRE, Sabina (Augusta, 128-136/7 AD) MYSIA, Cyzicus. Ae.18 Kyzicos standing.
Reference.
RPC III -; SNG von Aulock -; SNG Copenhagen -; BMC -; apparently unpublished.

Obv. CABINA CЄBACTH.
Draped bust of Sabina, r., with hair coiled and piled on top of head above double stephane

Rev. K - Y / Z - I.
Hero Kyzicos naked but a chlamys on l. shoulder, standing l., resting on sceptre with his r. hand, l. hand on his hip

4.42 gr
18 mm

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-128774

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »
That's a very neat coin areich, extra points for the small size. I've always been a sucker for the smaller denominations.

You should like this one then:

Nagidos
AR Hemitetartemorion
480-380 BC
O/ Head of Aphrodite l.
R/ Head of Dionysos l.
6mm; 0.1g!!!

Unpublished under this denomination (Nagidos minted obols with these portraits, cf. SNG BN 11). I have never found another example, probably because it is too small to notice in the ground.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:12 am »
I am not sure I have this attributed properly (well at least the MER-RIC number)...  If so, this is only one of 2 specimens known...

MER-RIC 3367
Mint: Ticinum Issue 1
Datation: November – December 275
Denomination: Aureliani
Titulature: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG
Bust: Bust right, radiate, cuirassed, with left sleeve raised
Legend: MARTI PACIF
Reverse: Mars in military dress walking l., holding olive branch in r. hand, transverse spear and long oval shield in l. hand.
Reverse Mark: –/–//S

The item that sets this apart apparently is his left sleeve is raised.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity