Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Real Uncleaned Silver from a known fake seller?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Real Uncleaned Silver from a known fake seller?
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:17:36 pm »
Thoughts?  Just something about the color/appearance seems odd.

The seller is on the notoroious fake seller list.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Real Uncleaned Silver from a known fake seller?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:29:20 pm »
renegade,

Who is the seller?

Now that I think about it, if the seller is on the NFSL, your question almost becomes rhetorical, doesn't it?

And, if these are authentic/ancient, why wouldn't he want to soak them and make some $$$?

mz

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:47:41 pm »
I agree, I am not going to support a NFS, but thought that they were convincing "dirty" wise, yet the coins themselves seemed odd.

I thought it may just be a good pic to show what can be done, but wanted to see if people were thinking they were actually real or not.

I agree, why not clean them yourself.  Food for thought.

EDIT - seller is SALVSAVG and he appears on the NFS list.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:51:13 pm »
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

I know the link will break, but here it is as requested.

And, it seems like some of his stuff is real that he sells.  I have found lots that look like they mix in both real and fake coins, that is another reason I pose this question.

Does he really go to the length of making fake dirty coins, or would these be part of his genuine lot?

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »
Well, he has earned a spot on the NSFL, so it's wise to tread lightly, for sure.

Yes, he seems to be one of those sellers that mixes it up.

The Galba denarius is a known fake in the fakes reports.

mz

p.s. I found him after you gave the name, so if you want to delete the link, please do so.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:55 pm »
Wow, those bronze uncleaned are all slugs!  :evil:

mz

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »
These coins look very strange, I think the dirt at least is not genuine, the coins probably aren't either.
Andreas Reich

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »
These coins look very strange, I think the dirt at least is not genuine, the coins probably aren't either.

Well, it seems like everyone is leaning towards what I was thinking.  I found it interesting.  Maybe this should be moved to the fake reports, but I think this is a valuable spot for this topic as is.

joeparisi

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »

please explain why you think these coins "probably" aren't genuine.  They are literally fused together and obviously "silvered" as can be seen by the corrosion present.  What is so far-fetched about a small bunch of Phillip Era ants found in a group?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:12:39 am »
Neither the coins nor the dirt look convincing to me, combined with the fact that he is a known fake makes me reasonably sure they're fake. The feke seller list is not for people who make the occasional 'honest mistake' but frauds who repeatedly and knowingly sell fakes. Can anybody send me a message with the seller's name?
Andreas Reich

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:56 am »
I agree with Andreas. A very bad and unconvincing cast forgery could be passed off as a genuine uncleaned coin if convincingly coated with dirt. A fake seller has got to sell the occasional real coin to pass off his fake ones. As far as returns and "customer service," I think you'll find that a forger will gladly refund your money and have great service to try to get you to not give him bad feedback. It's happened to me before. Looking at his current listings, I see no obvious fake coins (I know nothing of the other trinkets he has for sell). That being said, I still would never buy nor recommend buying from a fake seller. Even if the item is genuine, you're still promoting his business of forgery.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:04 am »
Looking at his offers now there are just one or two that are suspicious but none that are clearly fake.
It would be interesting to know what he did to get on the list. With this information it seems less likely to me now that these are fake.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:06 am »
I have had some uncleaned silvers with this hard red encrustation and it is really hard to remove and the end results are usually really badly corroded pitted coins. I think they have already been processed in acid which is why the bright silver edges show, but the acid will not cut this nasty red crust, at least not quickly, so I would guess he gave up at that point and listed them as uncleaned. I don't see any reason to doubt these coins, but if the seller is on the NSFL then I would not support them any way. though as mentioned below, I would be interested in the details that got them added to the list, as most of what they have seems OK.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity