Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Desk  (Read 25706 times)

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
Re: My Desk
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2015, 01:46:16 pm »
I thought I would share my desk and coin storage system because it is a little different.
I store my coins in a 3 ring binder but I store them in a coin flip taped to a plastic sheet cover with the coin info and photo.
I also have a sheet with some basic historic info. on the emperor or geographical location. (usually Wikipedia info.  and I do contribute to them as I appreciate this resource.)
 I do this because I like to keep them in chronological order and it helps me with trying to keep the history straight.
Each of us has our own goals with our collections and this method fits mine. I do like having the coins displayed so you can handle them however with this system I have to cut it out and get a new flip.
Norm

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2015, 01:58:09 pm »
I thought I would share my desk and coin storage system because it is a little different.
I store my coins in a 3 ring binder but I store them in a coin flip taped to a plastic sheet cover with the coin info and photo.
I also have a sheet with some basic historic info. on the emperor or geographical location. (usually Wikipedia info.  and I do contribute to them as I appreciate this resource.)
 I do this because I like to keep them in chronological order and it helps me with trying to keep the history straight.
Each of us has our own goals with our collections and this method fits mine. I do like having the coins displayed so you can handle them however with this system I have to cut it out and get a new flip.
Norm

Great system but would take up too much space if I did that.

Mine is just taking up 1 binder, need to get a larger binder though.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »
I used an almost identical system at first as it did help me as I was learning the chronology of the emperors. I've recently switched up to trays in a case, as I find I can access the coins more quickly. I also found that sometimes I would pick up the binder wrong and some of the flips and/or coins would fall out.

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2015, 02:40:22 pm »
I am using tape to close the flip so coins don't fall out.  I may in the future move my coins to trays but if I do I will probably keep the binder for the coin info reference.
I like the idea of just grabbing one of the folders to  share my collection away from home.
Norm

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:05 am »
Following my recent divorce I have moved into a smaller apartment which has the disadvantage of me not having a dedicated area for my coins, but does have the advantage of me not having a nagging woman telling me to move my coin crap off the dining table should I wish to have a "coining evening"!!  ;D +++ ;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2015, 08:21:45 am »
Following my recent divorce I have moved into a smaller apartment which has the disadvantage of me not having a dedicated area for my coins, but does have the advantage of me not having a nagging woman telling me to move my coin crap off the dining table should I wish to have a "coining evening"!!  ;D +++ ;D

Yep ;) indeed why would you ever need a dining table when you've a perfectly good lap to balance on, hence saving all that space for coining. Also, you only have to negotiate with yourself when it comes to spending priorities. Well done.

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2015, 10:55:19 pm »
I see there are advantages.  I hope the coining wasn't the reason for the departure.
Norm

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2016, 07:30:18 pm »
A current look at my desktop.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2016, 04:10:29 am »
Nice one ... :)

+++
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2016, 12:45:25 pm »
After reading through this post, I feel as though that it has also shown insight into some of the forvm members' personalities and different approaches to both coins and life.

I sadly keep all of my coin equipment all over the house and 'gather the troops' when the need be.  So if I get this straight....coin cleaning/researching is not going to impress my wife sectioned all over our dinning room table??  I do have 3 of these framed posters in my basement/plan-B livingroom.   http://dirtyoldcoins.com/shop/posters/Coin-Posters.html

Great set-ups everyone +++

Matt

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »
After reading through this post, I feel as though that it has also shown insight into some of the forvm members' personalities and different approaches to both coins and life.

I sadly keep all of my coin equipment all over the house and 'gather the troops' when the need be.  So if I get this straight....coin cleaning/researching is not going to impress my wife sectioned all over our dinning room table??  I do have 3 of these framed posters in my basement/plan-B livingroom.   http://dirtyoldcoins.com/shop/posters/Coin-Posters.html

Matt

The one general rule, which several of us have mentioned, is that whilst the dining table is usually a perfect place to camp out long-term with coin stuffs (trays, open books etc), and is anyway a redundant piece of furniture (given that He provided us with laps for eating from), nevertheless our spouse and partners have oddly different views.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »

I sadly keep all of my coin equipment all over the house and 'gather the troops' when the need be.  So if I get this straight....coin cleaning/researching is not going to impress my wife sectioned all over our dinning room table??  I do have 3 of these framed posters in my basement/plan-B livingroom.   http://dirtyoldcoins.com/shop/posters/Coin-Posters.html

Matt

The one general rule, which several of us have mentioned, is that whilst the dining table is usually a perfect place to camp out long-term with coin stuffs (trays, open books etc), and is anyway a redundant piece of furniture (given that He provided us with laps for eating from), nevertheless our spouse and partners have oddly different views.

Well, yes it is very important to know who is the boss at home.

::) :-[ :'( :-\ ;D ;D +++
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2016, 12:28:44 am »
Finally got around to taking a picture of my desk. The seemingly-peculiar monitor setup actually started at work after I realized that having one dedicated vertical monitor for source code made it much easier to read and write(by giving me more lines of code and thus, more context) and after replicating the setup at home to make working from home easier, I found it makes a great setup for reading papers and books as well. Unfortunately this corner of my apartment doesn't have great lighting so I have to get by with a desk lamp but when we buy a house next year I'm going to make sure there's a well-lit area for reading and coining(and hopefully I can upgrade to a bigger desk too).

By the way, the book is Essays Hersh, my Christmas present to myself, and the paper is Andrew's excellent work on anonymous bronzes from Essays Russo, a paper that I find more and more useful the further I get into collecting bronzes.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2016, 02:08:07 pm »
So I finally decided to try and get my collections a bit better organized. 

I have several dozen coins that are still in the original dealer flips.....a bunch more that that need their id photos printed and attached to their envelopes, and almost as many that I haven't photographed yet.  So it seems I have a couple of weeks work ahead of me....but it will also be a lot of fun too!!

And I've also decided that while I have everyone together, I am going to  see if there is anything that I might want to get rid of.....duplicates, lower grade pieces, things I no longer collect, etc., etc....

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:47 pm »
So I finally decided to try and get my collections a bit better organized. 

That's a nice, old-style desk, very well suited to our collecting activities. Is it a roll-top? The only thing that surprised me about your photo was the BOXES of coins. I expected to see a lovely, custom cabinet.   ;)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2016, 04:26:52 pm »
Yes, it's an oak roll-top desk....not a true antique, but I've had it for 25 years....so we're both on our ways

The unfortunate reality in today's world is that many of us need to keep our collections in a safe deposit box....hence the boxes.  I keep only some lower value coins, medals, and tokens in my cabinets.

These are the first two cabinets I ever built....the one with doors was the true prototype as it's not even made from mahogany.  The one without doors is the actual first cabinet I built from mahogany.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2016, 12:57:29 am »
I recently found a curio cabinet I have put some of my various collections in. Yes unfortunate that we have to store many of out coins in a bank deposit. My bank is not far and I rotate a few around pretty easy, plus much of what I like is old latin trachys,, not worth much anyhow!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2016, 08:59:09 pm »
Neat to see some of the other items forum members collect.  Also good to see some of your nice weights in their proper home.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:19 am »
Thanks Shawn,

I have "collected" my whole life. I have small rocks from the many summits/climbs/hikes and beaches I have traveled. Mundane and exotic. I have bowls of them that where and why I picked them up have long since faded. They however like the faded bag of memories I carry around in my head nevertheless represent for me in a sense who I am and make up what I am today. Feathers sticks and bones as well.

Feeling a touch a sad this evening as I have had to make the decision to have my once young pup of a Cairn terrier put to sleep after 15 years and a two years of being a diabetic....insulin shots twice a day! HA LOL

He however has been a faithful coin dog as he has spent hrs at my feet under my desk as I photograph, clean or study in what ever way my collection over the years.

Don'y mind his crusty eye, I had not cleaned it yet when I got home!

cw

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2016, 01:24:20 am »
I recently found a curio cabinet I have put some of my various collections in. Yes unfortunate that we have to store many of out coins in a bank deposit. My bank is not far and I rotate a few around pretty easy, plus much of what I like is old latin trachys,, not worth much anyhow!

Very nice collection.. +++

Regards
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2016, 06:56:01 am »
Sorry about your dog, cw.  We had a cat that required insulin shots twice a day.  She went on like that for about 4 years. 

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2016, 01:25:57 pm »
Sorry about your dog too.  I have a Westie but he is only 7.  Fun little guy we inherited three years ago from people being posted to a non-dog-friendly country.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2016, 02:49:58 pm »
Someone once wrote: "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where dogs go."
PeteB

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2016, 06:33:37 pm »
that would have been Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain.  I agree with him
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »
Thanks kindly for the thoughts, it all works out.

I remember from a song

" All  the years combine they melt in to a dream"

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity