Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Desk  (Read 25685 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: My Desk
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »

I haven't posted anything in a long while, so because I was reading this post and once again admiring Andrew's "desk/office" I decided to post a few pictures of my office etc. We finally bought this house - closed on 24 July! Yay, so that means the shelves will stay and I will be doing some major reorging to make things even more convenient including adding more book shelves.

c.rhodes

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »
Cool set up, GG 8)
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »
EXCELLENT lay-out!!!
PeteB

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
Really nice setup and layout Charlie, I looked for a USNDS Patch in the pictures but did not find one, Do I need to send you one.

Nice to see you still on here.

Pete Peters

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 08:48:03 pm »

Thank you PeteB, and Mat, and for you Pete Peters, aka newbeonecoinobe a couple of patches!!

c.rhodes

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:33 pm »
Nice office, I like the bookshelves within easy reach!

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:03 pm »
Nice Patches Charlie, Thanks for the post.

Pete

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:41 pm »
Nice office, I like the bookshelves within easy reach!

Thanks AND
I have plans to add more!!

c.rhodes

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
Hi c.rhodes.. :)

I recognised just now your very comfortable "desk"  .. it is impressive.. +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:09 am »
Time for another desk pic - I'm map-making for Taormina. See below.

Who on Forum will be at Taormina? 800 numismatists are attending, and I will be speaking. Come and listen!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 11:00:07 am »
Tauromenia is south of there, Andrew ;)

I wish I could attend.  Hopefully next year's conference when our work is finished.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2015, 11:14:57 am »
Tauromenia is south of there, Andrew ;)

I wish I could attend.  Hopefully next year's conference when our work is finished.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Next year???

2021 is the next conference after this. Those going to Taormina have cleared their diaries since 2009. I recall that those who didn't go to Glasgow in 2009 at times expressed surprise as to the scheduling of that conference. Although the date and place of the Glasgow conference had been well known since Madrid in 2003. But it seemed to arrive by surprise.

I appreciate the intent to attend "next year's" conference. Yet my firm bet (and I'd place a lot of money on it) is that those who didn't schedule to go to Taormina will also not schedule to go to the 2021 conference. Probably sometime in late summer 2021 they will express surprise at its location and scheduling, comment on short term work priorities, and resolve seriously not to miss the conference in 2027. The exact same people who told me (five or six years ago) that they seriously regretted missing Glasgow, and would be 100% sure to attend Taormina, are staying at home this year.

There are still inexpensive hotel rooms in Taormina for this year's conference, and flights can be readily found via Rome (most of the direct flights to Sicily are long gone). Those who take their numismatics seriously just need to cancel whatever and go. One can always find an excuse (great-aunt's funeral, sore toe).

Just book and go. Else I'll assume you are not serious about numismatics. I certainly won't take assurances about 2021 seriously based on past assurances by other numismatists!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
Oh, I thought this was a yearly conference. Well, there's no way I could go this year.  For one, I haven't budgeted for it. Also, the semester starts in a week and I've got a lot of work to do on the book before I get bogged down with student demands.  Bummer.  It sounds awesome and the location is perfect, especially for a man-faced bull enthusiast!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
And here's a numismatic taster. Below are two (of about 25) slides of my intended presentation. Which I'm still working on.

Isn't this really interesting stuff! I think it is.

Making maps is really tough. It's hard because there are no ready templates that omit all modern infrastructure, and one can't copy the Barrington atlas. It's really difficult.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »
Oh, I thought this was a yearly conference. Well, there's no way I could go this year.  For one, I haven't budgeted for it. Also, the semester starts in a week and I've got a lot of work to do on the book before I get bogged down with student demands.  Bummer.  It sounds awesome and the location is perfect, especially for a man-faced bull enthusiast!

Using my experience-rule-set that means you also won't be there in 2021. Sad. You may make 2027. Really this is it though, this is the only chance in a decade for an amateur researcher, who does not have a cosy university or museum tenure in classics from where he can write papers, to make an impact.

The social events surrounding the conferences are also awesome.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2015, 12:25:14 pm »
I will surely prove you wrong about making an impact!  Just wait and see ;)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:53 am »
I will surely prove you wrong about making an impact!  Just wait and see ;)

I'm absolutely sure that this is true, and I apologise for giving you a very hard time over this when you were just being nice to me. It was your misfortune to step to the plate just when I asked who would be attending.

Still and all, I find it very frustrating if the ancient coin collecting community, which Forum's Discussion Board represents more than any other website in the world, is entirely absent from the premier once-in-a-decade worldwide event devoted to ancient coins. It's difficult to value our numismatic insights shared so freely on Forum, if they are uninformed by the direction of current research as represented by the International Numismatic Congress. It also weakens the voice of collectors on matters such as cultural property and restrictions on trade and collecting, if collectors stay away en-masse from the conference where such ideas are formed among numismatic archaeologists, curators, and university experts. This is the only conference where all of ancient numismatics comes together, and decisions are made by those who turn up. I would have at least expected half or so of the Procurator Monetae and a similar number of other collectors to be there - meaning that it's reasonable that 20 to 40 members of our discussion board would attend. That would still leaves 95% of the projected 800 attendees as non-collectors, but it would at least mean that there's a fair chance that an average attendee would meet and talk to at least one collector in the course of a week's worth of coffee breaks, after-talk-questions and dinners. Talking to each other here on Forum is nice, but it neither draws on what the mass of non-collecting archaeologists, curators and professors are currently working on, nor does it influence policy. We have to go into the world outside our cocoon to do that and the International Numismatic Congress is a perfect venue to do so.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2015, 09:58:06 am »
I will surely prove you wrong about making an impact!  Just wait and see ;)

:police: notified
Andreas Reich

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
I will surely prove you wrong about making an impact!  Just wait and see ;)

I'm absolutely sure that this is true, and I apologise for giving you a very hard time over this when you were just being nice to me. It was your misfortune to step to the plate just when I asked who would be attending.

Still and all, I find it very frustrating if the ancient coin collecting community, which Forum's Discussion Board represents more than any other website in the world, is entirely absent from the premier once-in-a-decade worldwide event devoted to ancient coins. It's difficult to value our numismatic insights shared so freely on Forum, if they are uninformed by the direction of current research as represented by the International Numismatic Congress. It also weakens the voice of collectors on matters such as cultural property and restrictions on trade and collecting, if collectors stay away en-masse from the conference where such ideas are formed among numismatic archaeologists, curators, and university experts. This is the only conference where all of ancient numismatics comes together, and decisions are made by those who turn up. I would have at least expected half or so of the Procurator Monetae and a similar number of other collectors to be there - meaning that it's reasonable that 20 to 40 members of our discussion board would attend. That would still leaves 95% of the projected 800 attendees as non-collectors, but it would at least mean that there's a fair chance that an average attendee would meet and talk to at least one collector in the course of a week's worth of coffee breaks, after-talk-questions and dinners. Talking to each other here on Forum is nice, but it neither draws on what the mass of non-collecting archaeologists, curators and professors are currently working on, nor does it influence policy. We have to go into the world outside our cocoon to do that and the International Numismatic Congress is a perfect venue to do so.

No need to apologize!  In fact, a noted numismatists urged Nico and I to present at Taoromina, but our work would not be ready in time (although we are now almost through with all peer reviews, including the review of Keith Rutter on the topic of the identity of the man-faced bull, who had no objections to our theory!).  I'm assuming that if all goes well, we can present at the next conference, although I would have to request a short sabbatical to do so, since it coincides with the start of a new semester.  Do you know where it will be held?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »

No need to apologize!  In fact, a noted numismatists urged Nico and I to present at Taoromina, but our work would not be ready in time (although we are now almost through with all peer reviews, including the review of Keith Rutter on the topic of the identity of the man-faced bull, who had no objections to our theory!).  I'm assuming that if all goes well, we can present at the next conference, although I would have to request a short sabbatical to do so, since it coincides with the start of a new semester.  Do you know where it will be held?

That wasn't a good call to decline. You can only present unpublished work at the INC, because the papers eventually get bound into a conference proceedings, and you've a year after the conference to write the paper (and may choose not to do so). So in fact it's ideal for work in progress. I've only prepared a presentation, not a paper.

I'm staggered you know when the semester in the year 2021 starts and that you also know that you will be in the same job, and that you know the exact dates for the unannounced conference six years in the future. I guess you've some form of lifelong tenure / serfdom that gives such certainty. The winning city for 2021 will be decided at the INC meeting at the end of this conference. From my recollection of what I've heard of the candidates, it's going to be a slightly less attractive venue. Pusan or Asuncion or Almaty. That sort of place.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
In the U.S. system the start and end dates for public education institutions only vary a few days from year to year (there are collective bargaining contracts that dictate those things). I hope I'm in the same job. Unless Potamikon allows me to retire very early (I'm 33), which I doubt, I assume I will be. The benefits of working in public education are largely the retirement benefits, so it is good incentive to stay.

I didn't know the conference happened at different times during the year.  I assumed it was generally the same time or thereabouts.  I guess I missed out on a great opportunity :(

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2015, 01:50:37 pm »
In the U.S. system the start and end dates for public education institutions only vary a few days from year to year (there are collective bargaining contracts that dictate those things). I hope I'm in the same job. Unless Potamikon allows me to retire very early (I'm 33), which I doubt, I assume I will be. The benefits of working in public education are largely the retirement benefits, so it is good incentive to stay.

I didn't know the conference happened at different times during the year.  I assumed it was generally the same time or thereabouts.  I guess I missed out on a great opportunity :(

As someone who has moved house 22 times in my adult life (and I've just passed the half century mark) including twelve moves between countries (most of them between continents), and has seen education systems turned upside down and rearranged multiple times in any given country, and pension systems too, and has also changed career more than once, some of these moves being driven by a family situation of a complexity that usually takes 10 minutes to explain in simplified form, and that I had not the remotest foresight would arise when I was aged 33, nor did I even have the imagination that my life would take such twists and turns in direction, or that some of the things I've done or that have happened were even possible on this planet, I remain staggered by the degree of certainty you have about your future, at the slight age of 33, down to the extent of knowing your potential availability in a given week six years in the future!

Maybe you should take more risks?

All that said, I sense the MFB book will be the start of a tremendous numismatic career, and I look forward to hearing you speak at conferences decades into the future when no doubt we'll all be holographically beamed into conjunction, whilst education has become a flexitime job all done through telepathy in between examining Greek coins through a touch and feel 3D computing platform.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2015, 02:00:15 pm »

I didn't know the conference happened at different times during the year.  I assumed it was generally the same time or thereabouts.  I guess I missed out on a great opportunity :(

As someone who has moved house 22 times in my adult life (and I've just passed the half century mark) including twelve moves between countries (most of them between continents), and has seen education systems turned upside down and rearranged multiple times in any given country, and pension systems too, and has also changed career more than once, some of these moves being driven by a family situation of a complexity that usually takes 10 minutes to explain in simplified form, and that I had not the remotest foresight would arise when I was aged 33, nor did I even have the imagination that my life would take such twists and turns in direction, or that some of the things I've done or that have happened were even possible on this planet, I remain staggered by the degree of certainty you have about your future, at the slight age of 33, down to the extent of knowing your potential availability in a week six years in the future!

Maybe you should take more risks!

I did enough of that in college!  :afro:

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2015, 02:14:02 pm »

As someone who has moved house 22 times in my adult life (and I've just passed the half century mark) including twelve moves between countries (most of them between continents), and has seen education systems turned upside down and rearranged multiple times in any given country, and pension systems too, and has also changed career more than once, some of these moves being driven by a family situation of a complexity that usually takes 10 minutes to explain in simplified form, and that I had not the remotest foresight would arise when I was aged 33, nor did I even have the imagination that my life would take such twists and turns in direction, or that some of the things I've done or that have happened were even possible on this planet, I remain staggered by the degree of certainty you have about your future, at the slight age of 33, down to the extent of knowing your potential availability in a given week six years in the future!

Maybe you should take more risks?

All that said, I sense the MFB book will be the start of a tremendous numismatic career, and I look forward to hearing you speak at conferences decades into the future when no doubt we'll all be holographically beamed into conjunction, whilst education has become a flexitime job all done through telepathy in between examining Greek coins through a touch and feel 3D computing platform.

By that time, when people recognize the significance of man-faced bull iconography, I suspect there will be entire conferences devoted to him!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:31 am »
By that time, when people recognize the significance of man-faced bull iconography, I suspect there will be entire conferences devoted to him!

Hi Nick,

I only wish!!! :)

I love MFB coins, just like you and Nico. But not everyone shares our feelings. There are numismatists, including Forum members, who referred to MFB coins as "boring". Remember?

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity