Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Desk  (Read 25686 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: My Desk
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 01:08:05 pm »
This is not my desk, but it is where I coin!!
    We have recently moved into a 3 bedroom apartment, and with 2 rapidly growing small human resources, my PC desk has become hotly contested territory.. I can "forvm" from my phone, tablet, or if I'm lucky my PC, however if I'm cleaning or studying, I have a negotiated a whole corner of the hallway which is totally out of bounds to my kids and wife.. Bless them...

How I long for a house with a shed!!

;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 02:11:57 pm »
Well I've talked on and off about needing a library room, and it seems, touch wood, that I'm going to get one. Below is what will be, sometime by the end of 2014, hopefully, my new library. Those wooden slats will hold a wall-length array of floor to ceiling windows; they are north facing. My books will entirely cover the wall at left and my desk and coining implements will be against the windows at right. The room is an odd 10 metre x 3 metre in size which gives a high wall-to-floor ratio, rather ideal as it is wall space for books that I need. Being north facing means no damage to books, and ideal photography conditions for those times when I want to use daylight. As to the nature of the building, would you believe that this is an ancient monument - a grade 2 listed (i.e. a heritage preservation order) piece of brutalist 1950s-1960s architecture currently undergoing refurbishment, and the fully glass wall at right with vertical partitions are part of the preserved nature of the building and cannot be altered. I love ancient things and I love modern architecture (the more stark the better) so it warms my heart immensely to think of my library being in an unvarnished assemblage of concrete, brick and glass.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:28 pm »
You must be very excited by this project!  One recommendation - and judging by the wire hanging from the ceiling you might have already thought of this - install at least 4 built-in, adjustable ceiling light cans along the length of ceiling near the book shelves so you may direct light toward the book shelves.  Also good to have them over your desk area, unless you prefer lamps consuming valuable desk space.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on April 10, 2014, 02:50:28 pm
You must be very excited by this project!  One recommendation - and judging by the wire hanging from the ceiling you might have already thought of this - install at least 4 built-in, adjustable ceiling light cans along the length of ceiling near the book shelves so you may direct light toward the book shelves.  Also good to have them over your desk area, unless you prefer lamps consuming valuable desk space.

Great idea, though as part of a redevelopment of a much larger site I won't initially be in control of lighting points etc. until I actually occupy the apartment. Might see if I can contact the developer and get them to do an array of ceiling lights at the window side. It's my plan to get carpenter-built shelving in a design and wood to match the 1950s architectural motives. The building is a very early example of curtain wall architecture (where the walls are not load bearing and are entirely glassed) in anything much more modest than a New York skyscraper (1952 Lever building) or an original Bauhaus. The apartment's walls are almost entirely sheer glass which will make for an interesting spectacle for the neighbours when I wander about at 3am; I certainly won't spoil the aesthetic lines by hanging curtains so I may need to invest in a robe. The wall at the left of the pic where my numismatic books will go is the only load-bearing wall I'll have, the rest (three sides out of four) are all glass, floor to ceiling, corner to corner, with internal pillars to support. In about 12 months time I'll share "my coining desk" and "library" in its new location. I might have completely different ideas by then. It's exciting not just for the new space, but the concept of living in a landmark / listed piece of modern history also motivates me.

Today I was in a bookseller and checked out an 18th century print of Vitruvius. He didn't do curtain wall architecture.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »
Well Andrew, I think the only term for you trumping my approximately 1m² hallway corner with an entire wing of a building, custom built to house your literature would be, ( and with the greatest respect.... ) " Taking the piss!!"  :tongue:

However, I do not take it badly, as I live in one of the most beautiful cities on earth, ( Stockholm ) , and when the kids grow up and bugger off, then at least, I will have space to indulge myself.... Just a decade or so to wait.....  :afro: 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »
Well Andrew, I think the only term for you trumping my approximately 1m² hallway corner with an entire wing of a building, custom built to house your literature would be, ( and with the greatest respect.... ) " Taking the piss!!"  :tongue:

However, I do not take it badly, as I live in one of the most beautiful cities on earth, ( Stockholm ) , and when the kids grow up and bugger off, then at least, I will have space to indulge myself.... Just a decade or so to wait.....  :afro:  

It may sound like the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles, but that entire wing came as a free alternative to that same square footage of outdoor space. The apartment directly above has a roof terrace of the same dimensions in place of that gallery, but was otherwise identical, and sold for the same price. My intended library is actually a very wide corridor between building blocks in its former non-residential use. As a through-route it can't be classified as a room in a sales description, and most families would have no idea what to do with a 35'x10' space (visualise the interior dimensions of a London tube carriage). But for a library, with books against the long wall, it is ideal. I just hope it gets dedicated to its intended purpose, and not used for a TV room by noisier people.

Most of us live in the most beautiful city/town on earth. That's why we chose to live there. In your case that is Stockholm. In my case the most beautiful place on earth is London. For another collector, it will be a rural Pennsylvanian town, or somewhere else. I suspect that most contented people are living in the most perfect place they can imagine. One shouldn't expect one's kids to follow one's taste however. I'm really scared that my daughter is going to live in a farm or on a mountain, or somewhere else not within a short distance of a major airport and a choice of multiple high-end cafes and bakeries. The thought of it gives me agoraphobia. She actually likes camping and outdoorsy things. Can you imagine that? Istanbul, Hong Kong, and New York run London a close second as ideal places to live, and perhaps I will, in time, live in all of them.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »
Hi

My Desk

Still life/hesitation/desktop, Which one should I start?

Regards :)
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »
Quote from: quadrans on May 03, 2014, 02:55:33 pm
Hi

My Desk

Q.

that's a very lovely if impractical (bumpy, loose-like-gravel surfaces, limited space) desktop.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 04:14:51 am »
Quote from: quadrans on May 03, 2014, 02:55:33 pm
Hi

My Desk

Q.

that's a very lovely if impractical (bumpy, loose-like-gravel surfaces, limited space) desktop.

Hi Andrew

It is a joyous lack of space, is not it?  ;) :) :angel: +++
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:30 pm »
My desk tonight after I catalogued a few recent acquisitions that are on their way to the bank deposit box tomorrow.

In the last photo is the boss overseeing things.

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:44 am »

Your Natonal Geographic Magazine December 1982 map seems better preserved than mine.

Pekka K

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:06:28 am »

Your Natonal Geographic Magazine December 1982 map seems better preserved than mine.

Pekka K

I found it a few years ago neatly folded up in that issue of NG at a used bookshop. So far, the cat has left it alone!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:42 am »
Time for another desk photo. Here I am on a clearly warm summer day (I'm a bit dishevelled).

Andrew

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:34 am »
Great picture, Andrew!

I notice your desk is not in your library.  How close by is it?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 10:30:48 am »
Great picture, Andrew!

That's not actually my desk. It's a desk I'm working at covered with someone else's collection (part). My own desk is in a separate west facing study with some more shelves and comfy seating directly at the end of my library, just beyond its end wall. I've never shown it, as the desk faces a window, and the view from that window would instantly confirm where my study was in relation to the world in general (ie it looks out on the Pyramids or a similarly identifiable location). So I've never shown my own current desk, except in one view from directly above that only shows what's on the desk.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:02 am »
I always enjoy seeing pictures of people enjoying their hobbies. +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 11:45:09 am »
Great picture, Andrew!

That's not actually my desk. It's a desk I'm working at covered with someone else's collection (part). My own desk is in a separate west facing study with some more shelves and comfy seating directly at the end of my library, just beyond its end wall. I've never shown it, as the desk faces a window, and the view from that window would instantly confirm where my study was in relation to the world in general (ie it looks out on the Pyramids or a similarly identifiable location). So I've never shown my own current desk, except in one view from directly above that only shows what's on the desk.

You could always "Photoshop out" the view outside the window.....I'm sure many of us would love to see your setup.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »
Great picture, Andrew!

I notice your desk is not in your library.  How close by is it?

You could always "Photoshop out" the view outside the window.....I'm sure many of us would love to see your setup.

Well below is my actual desk without the view. And if I explain that there's a bookshelf to my right with my most popular volumes, and a desk chair in front of the desk, and a long couch behind the desk chair for lazy reading, and a small table beside the couch for piling books (in case the floor is full), and that the desk and couch both have a magnificent view over [REDACTED], then I think you've got the general picture.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
I had to incorporate a new desk into my set up, on account of Calciati's massive books.  I actually really like the extra space.  That's Livy's "jelly bean" car in the background.  Not distracting at all. 

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 04:22:56 am »
Time for another desk photo. Here I am on a clearly warm summer day (I'm a bit dishevelled).

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This photo reminds me of some science TV shows I watched several years ago, regarding the invention of the telescope centuries ago. There were scenes in "old world" European buildings that featured rooms very similar to that room. :)

Of course, the only thing lacking in the room in your photo is an old, antique, hand-made, long, thin, brassy, refracting telescope. That, and a bunch of guys wearing 17th century clothes. ::) :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 04:28:19 am »
I had to incorporate a new desk into my set up, on account of Calciati's massive books.  I actually really like the extra space.  That's Livy's "jelly bean" car in the background.  Not distracting at all. 

Hi Nick,

Nice desks!!!

A "jelly bean" car???!!! Does it run on jelly beans? That would be an interesting fuel source. ;D

Do the red jelly beans produce more horsepower? ::) :)

Meepzorp

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 01:09:08 am »
Molinari,

What a nice clean desk! I always struggle with keeping mine clean and tidy, it sort of changes with the seasons here and how much time I have to work with my collection.

cw

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:09 pm »
Well below is my actual desk without the view.

Well a pretty nice one indeed  ;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
Well below is my actual desk without the view.

Well a pretty nice one indeed  ;D

Hahahaha

Perfect. And thanks for assembling it. If I may, I'd love to throw this up on my website...

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 05:33:42 pm »
of course  ;) 

By the way, the original view was the Eiffel tower.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity