Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Some pics from Asia Minor.  (Read 7404 times)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Some pics from Asia Minor.
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:44:12 am »
No, not my informal holiday snaps (you don't want to see them, trust me! ;D)!

I managed to get a few days off for a small tour of Turkey during which I managed to visit the excellent museums of Ankara and Antalya, their ruins, and Perge.  I did intend to make Aspendos, Side, Tremessos and Selge but unfortunately I had to cut my trip short.

Anyway, here are a few pics.

Anatolian museum of Civilizations in Ankara.

Some superb Hittite relief's are preserved here.

A relief of Hittite troops and palace officials, dating to the second half of the 8th cent. BC.

King Sulumeli offering a libation to a god. Basalt, 10th - 9th cent. BC.

Detail of a mythical man-lion. Basalt relief from Carchemish, 9th cent. BC.

A Phrygian toy in the form of a griffin eating a fish. Made of wood and dating to the 8th cent. BC, it was recovered in a Tumulus at the site of Gordion.

The Phrygians seemed to have possessed advanced metal working skills as is testified to by this bronze phiale, found at the Great Tumulus at Gordion. The helmet is called the Phyrigian type, not because it is Phyrigian in origin, but because of it's resemblance to the Phrigiyan cap. This helmet appeared in the classical section rather than the Phrygian one.

Bust attributed to a somewhat ill looking Marcus Aurelius. See? Bust's ARE like passport photos!

Attributed to Livia.

A votive stele, 2nd-3rd cent. BC.

A magnificent bronze tondo of Trajan Decius. It was really tricky to photograph, the light above acts as a back light and picking up facial details with out flash (and with a museum guard behind you to make sure you don't). And the reflective panes of glass don't help either.
Never the less, a wonderful piece. I am sorry I could not do any better.

There is a lot more I would like to share, but this will do for now . I have more I would like to post from this museum, the Roman Baths of Caracalla at Ankara, the Column of Julian, and a place where I almost lost my mind, the Archaeological Museum of Antalya. Here is a taster.

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
Re: Some pics from Asia Minor.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:50:02 pm »
 Thanks for taking us to a place we all can't go to :)
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »
That last one looks like a derivative from one of the famous Ephesos Amazons.  Does she have a label?
Pat L.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:27 pm »
And before I retire for the night, something numismatic. What looks to me like a medallion of Antonius, Hadrian's favourite (Anatolian Museum)?

Brian, my pleasure! Such things MUST be shared!

Pat, the beauty is Artemis, taken from the temple at Perge (Antalya Archaeological Museum).

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »
Not to far from the Anatolian Museum in Ankara, a theatre is currently being excavated. It certainly looks promising, although excavation is expected to continue for a long while. To excavate something like this in the middle of a metropolitan city is quite extraordinary!

The Roman Baths also, a short distance away are also home to a large selection of roman tombstones situated in the area's palestra, some of which are very interesting.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

The Column of Julian in Ankara, erected in dedication to his visit sometime in 362 AD. It has a strange ribbed design. In fact it looks like a giant marble kebab to me.:)

The Temple of the Divine Augustus and Rome in the centre of Ankara, which now stands besides a mosque. I was unable to get any closer due this being Ramazan, the area was cordoned off in preparation for iftar.

Moving on to Antalya, I at first thought of it as some sort of tacky tourist destination with not much to see in the way of culture. I was wrong. Antalya has one of the best archaeological museums in Turkey, housing statues, friezes and other outstanding materials taken from the surrounding sites of Perge, Tremessoss, Selge and Aspendos. It also serves as an ideal base to explore the aforementioned.

The Archaeological Museum of Antalya.

A few examples of a wonderful collection of red figure pottery housed at the museum.

Attributed to Julia Soaemias, mother of  Elagabalus.

Heroic statue of Hadrian.

Hadrian and Trajan, this time in military garb.

The Three Graces. Removed from Perge.

Serapis.

Tyche.

An Emperor in priestly robes. Unattributed. Who is this? Macrinus?

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:43 pm »
Fantastic pictures, keep them coming!

Thanks
Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:44:58 pm »
Fantastic pictures, keep them coming!

Thanks
Cameron

Thank you! Here are some more then!  ;D

Athena.

Hermes.

Fortuna ( I think).

Herakles, great Herakles!

A private citizen, presumably affluent enough to afford to commission his own statue in marble.

And attached, most magnificent Mercury ever, standing about 3m tall.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
Will,

Thank you for those!

mz

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
I almost forgot about this thread. I meant to include these wonderful sarcophagi.

This is my favourite, featuring the 10 labours of Hercules. An analogy for the occupant's life?

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
Wow!  Can you just imagine all the time and labor that went into creating those?

Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 12:11:16 pm »
I have am in the middle of an hours long project deleting threads that are ruined by broken links to image shake and photo bucket.

Sadly the photos in this thread are all hosted by photo bucket and will turn into broken links eventually.  I wish they have been uploaded here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=150

They still could have been included in a thread here, but then the photos would be on the server and this thread would not go bad.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:28 pm »
Alex* uploaded Will Hooton's photos to the gallery and I switched the links here to the new gallery images.  I am very happy to have these fantastic photos in the gallery and that we will keep this thread intact.  Thanks Alex and Will!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity