Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown emperor  (Read 497 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Unknown emperor
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »
28mm, no weight and not in hand yet. Bought as unattributed.
Pics aren't the best.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Unknown emperor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:48 pm »
At first glance, Philippopolis at the time, after 205, when it had the title of Metropolis, so that the reverse reads, if so, MÊTRO PhILLIPOPOLLEÔS.  That agrees with the portrait of Septimius Severus, which is of the rather formal type of that time.
Pat L.
Here's an old scan of one of mine.  Yours is Homonoia.
(added only after Gordian Guy's: we agree)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

It looks to be Septimius Severus and maybe from the City of Philippopolis - but the ending is a bit off. Maybe someone with better vision can nail it down. I do see PhILIPPOPOL etc.

c.rhodes

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
Yes the bust definitely looks like Sept. Sev. I'm still searching for a reference match with the reverse.
Thank you for the help.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
With Varbanov still being the best source for Philipppolis of the Severan period, it evidently is Varbanov III, no. 1234, which he lists as in a private collection but does not illustrate.  Have you tried Wildwinds?**
Pat L.
** No, not there.  For Philippopolis, up till now, there are far more coins than listings.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:23:37 pm »
With Varbanov still being the best source for Philipppolis of the Severan period, it evidently is Varbanov III, no. 1234, which he lists as in a private collection but does not illustrate.  Have you tried Wildwinds?**
Pat L.
** No, not there.  For Philippopolis, up till now, there are far more coins than listings.

I went through Wildwinds with no matches. There is only a handful of Philipopolis coins there.

It seems to be a tough one to find.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:56 pm »
The monograph that has been expected has been held up, perhaps by circumstances beyond control, as they say of Life.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity