Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Sr. help with Ref.  (Read 569 times)

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
Faustina Sr. help with Ref.
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »
Faustina The Elder

DIVA-FAVSTINA
Draped and veiled bust right
CONSECRATIO S-C
Vesta standing left, sacrificing from patera over altar to left & holding scepter. torch

11.73g;27-28mm

I have been looking to find a reference number for this one - any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Re: Faustina Sr. help with Ref.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:08:26 pm »
Hi,

A quick look at my Sear gives RIC 1187, BMCRE 1590. I guess with that weight its a dupondius/as (Sear doesn't specify.)

Cheers.

Edit: In my half slumbering state, just noticed the veil now. My Sear does not describe this die combination, so either it is incomplete or your coin is a mule (and I can't find any specimens on acsearch).

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:28:41 pm »

Thank you for checking Will-

I could not find a veiled example either. I'm limited on reference books and was not able to find a match online.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:08 am »
RIC 1187 lists the bust with and without veil, Cohen 164 and 163.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Thank you Lars! I missed that only looking at the example.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:09 am »
BMC 1590-3 has three specimens without veil, one worn specimen with veil. According to Strack 1274, both variants are in the collections of Berlin, Paris, and Vienna.

Cohen 163-4 values the unveiled variant at 4 francs, the veiled variant at 8 francs, so more desirable to a collector in his opinion.

Metal color is the only reliable way to distinguish Diva Faustina's asses from her dupondii: reddish copper for asses, yellow orichalcum for dupondii. The weights of the two denominations overlap to a very great extent.
Curtis Clay

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »
Thank you very much Curtis! I will have to get her out and see if any of the metal color is showing through.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity