Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 01:47:58 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Carolingian Coins? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carolingian Coins?  (Read 1451 times)
mcbyrne21
Consul

« on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

I've been collecting Roman coins for a little while now and am looking to expand my horizons into other areas of history that interest me.  One such area is the Carolingian Empire.  I haven't, however, been able to find much information on their coinage.  Could anyone recommend some helpful resources (books, websites, etc) to get me started or perhaps offer advice?

On a more specific note, from what I can tell their does not seem to be much available in the marketplace (at least the places I'm looking).  This seems odd to me because from the little I know, it was my understanding that they minted a large amount of silver and gold to facilitate trade, pay off Norse/Maygar raiders, etc. 

Thanks!   
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:49:28 am »

Hi,

The Carolingian Coins in the British Museum (1966) by Dolley and Morrison can often be found at a reasonable price. Useful as a catalogue but no reference to Carolingian history.

Regards,

Mauseus

rapre
Consul

I want to be a coinnoisseur

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:47:16 am »

Potator II knows about these.
Cheers,
Raymond

Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)
Jan
Consul

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:13 pm »

I can recommend this site:

http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/index.php

which I have found useful and inspiring.

Best regards,

Jan

mcbyrne21
Consul

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:24:16 am »

Very helpful.  Thank you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Carolingian Coins? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop