Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carolingian Coins?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Carolingian Coins?
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »
I've been collecting Roman coins for a little while now and am looking to expand my horizons into other areas of history that interest me.  One such area is the Carolingian Empire.  I haven't, however, been able to find much information on their coinage.  Could anyone recommend some helpful resources (books, websites, etc) to get me started or perhaps offer advice?

On a more specific note, from what I can tell their does not seem to be much available in the marketplace (at least the places I'm looking).  This seems odd to me because from the little I know, it was my understanding that they minted a large amount of silver and gold to facilitate trade, pay off Norse/Maygar raiders, etc. 

Thanks!   

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carolingian Coins?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »
Hi,

The Carolingian Coins in the British Museum (1966) by Dolley and Morrison can often be found at a reasonable price. Useful as a catalogue but no reference to Carolingian history.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
Potator II knows about these.
Cheers,
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »
I can recommend this site:

http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/index.php

which I have found useful and inspiring.

Best regards,

Jan

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
Very helpful.  Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity