Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carolingian Coins?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Carolingian Coins?
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »
I've been collecting Roman coins for a little while now and am looking to expand my horizons into other areas of history that interest me.  One such area is the Carolingian Empire.  I haven't, however, been able to find much information on their coinage.  Could anyone recommend some helpful resources (books, websites, etc) to get me started or perhaps offer advice?

On a more specific note, from what I can tell their does not seem to be much available in the marketplace (at least the places I'm looking).  This seems odd to me because from the little I know, it was my understanding that they minted a large amount of silver and gold to facilitate trade, pay off Norse/Maygar raiders, etc. 

Thanks!   

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carolingian Coins?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »
Hi,

The Carolingian Coins in the British Museum (1966) by Dolley and Morrison can often be found at a reasonable price. Useful as a catalogue but no reference to Carolingian history.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
Potator II knows about these.
Cheers,
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »
I can recommend this site:

http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/index.php

which I have found useful and inspiring.

Best regards,

Jan

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
Very helpful.  Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity