Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: First appearance of the Cross on a Roman Coin?  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • Romanorum Ancient Coins
First appearance of the Cross on a Roman Coin?
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:03 pm »
It seems quite clear that the Christian symbol of choice during the fourth century was the Chi-Rho. The cross doesn't really show up regularly in coins until much later.
RIC VII, 124-127 of Aquileia, all of them Gloria Exercitvs (minted 334-335 AD), and the coins minted for Helena and Theodora at Trier (RIC VIII, 42 and 43; minted before April 340 AD), however, do have a cross on the center and left fields, respectively. I wonder if these are the first instances of Roman coins to sport a Christian cross. Any opinions?

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: First appearance of the Cross on a Roman Coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:36 am »
There are some lifetime issues of Constantine I which bear croses and which predate these posthumous commemoratives for his mother and step-mother. RIC 45 comes immediately to mind: follis with Sol reverse and cross in field to his left!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:52 pm »
Quote from: commodus on August 11, 2010, 02:15:36 am
There are some lifetime issues of Constantine I which bear croses and which predate these posthumous commemoratives for his mother and step-mother. RIC 45 comes immediately to mind: follis with Sol reverse and cross in field to his left!
I assume you mean RIC VII 45 of Trier?  If that's the case, isn't that a "T"? RIC doesn't seem to consider it a cross, or at least I see no notes to that effect.

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
RIC VII Ticinum 43-47 with cross and star in fields was meant, I guess. Minted A.D. 316.

Stefan

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »
He carried on for years after that minting coins by the million declaring his relationship to Sol Invictus. So why placard one religion, and be so shy about sneaking the other onto a coin, if that's what he really wanted to do? There might or might not be a Christian reference, but sometimes a cross is just a cross!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »
Thanks for clarifying! Yes, that is definitely much earlier...

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
RIC VII Ticinum 43-47 with cross and star in fields was meant, I guess. Minted A.D. 316.

Stefan

Yes, that's the one: RIC VII 45 (RIC VII 43-47) - Ticinum mint. Sorry I didn't name the volume of RIC; I figured it went without saying.

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
He carried on for years after that minting coins by the million declaring his relationship to Sol Invictus. So why placard one religion, and be so shy about sneaking the other onto a coin, if that's what he really wanted to do? There might or might not be a Christian reference, but sometimes a cross is just a cross!

Constantine was a bet hedger. Not a true Christian and not a true Pagan. He was already morphing into a sort of monotheist with Sol as chief deity so it wasn't a big step to Christianity. Regardless, whether a cross is just a cross or not, this IS an earlier example of a cross on a coin and, considering that the cult of Sol and that of Christ were probably not too far apart in Constantine's religious views, I'd say that it is very likely the cross is Christian, at least sort of (but then, Constantine was never really more than sort of Christian himself).
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 01:43:25 am »
It is tempting to associate Cross and star with Christ and Sol, but I have problems connecting it to Constantin being christian. The symbols were used on coins for Licinius, too. And the symbols might just as well be chosen by a mint-official who was christian. In first instance this are just emission marks, I think.

Stefan

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:52 am »
Very possibly so, but if that's the case, it seems probable that's what they are with the Helena and Theodora coins as well, since these are of essentially identical form and placement. As positively identifiable Christian symbols go, the Chi Rho is likely to be the first.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »
Quote from: commodus on August 11, 2010, 05:10:56 pm

Stefan

Yes, that's the one: RIC VII 45 (RIC VII 43-47) - Ticinum mint. Sorry I didn't name the volume of RIC; I figured it went without saying.

Actually, you're right, the Vol. of RIC wasn't necessary, but you didn't mention Ticinum in your original post. Thanks!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »
Even there, it was probably at least as much a Constantinian symbol as a Christian one when it forst appears.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity