Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning an VRBS ROMA  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
Cleaning an VRBS ROMA
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:53 am »
I've recently acquired this VRBS ROMA coin. I was thinking about trying to clean it - the obverse in particular I believe could benefit from this. I intend to display it in a school class, so I believe that the more easily the inscriptions can be read and the features identified, the better. Granted, it might be useful to show them that coins can be difficult to read, but in this case, I'd rather let them work with something as clear as possible.

However, I'm a novice at cleaning coins. I've browsed the site and the boards, so I've picked up a bit, but I'd like to be sure before I start. 

(a) Should I clean it at all, or will I risk harming it?

(b) if a few attempts at cleaning it won't harm it, how should I do it?

Also, different question for confirmation: Am I right in reading the mint as  SMN :Greek_Gamma: for Nicomedia?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Cleaning an VRBS ROMA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:40:31 am »
This coin should be a good one for you to start your cleaning career on. It looks to be simply dirt on a stable patina. I would soak it overnight in distilled water to loosen up the clay and then brush using a nylon brush. Repeat as needed. Post pics when you are done or if you hit somthing that is not budging.

Chris

PS - yes, it looks like you have the mintmark right. :)
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:48:14 am »
This coin looks like it will clean up very nicely. First try rubbing it with a wet rag to get off some of the loose dirt. Brushing it with a soft brass bristle brush should remove a lot of dirt without harming the patina. Some of the harder encrustations and dirt around the lettering can be picked off manually with a wooden or plastic toothpick. If you're brave, you can use a curved razor knife or craft knife, but be very careful to not to scratch the patina. I actually don't recommend this until you get a good feel for cleaning coins, and then under magnification and good lighting. The patina looks intact. Keep it that way as you clean it.

Happy cleaning!
Danny

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:51 am »
Not trying to contradict Danny here, but I would hold off on the brass bushing until you are certain on what is under the dirt. (the object is not to see how fast we can clean it, but how gently and efficiently (<---spelling?). Take your time, it has taken a thousand years for the coin to get in that state, a day or two of soaking and brushing is just a drop in the bucket!)  :)

Chris

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:38:49 am »
Thanks a lot for the help and advice. I'll see if I can find some distilled water and let it soak, then I'll try the wet rag. Is there anything to be careful about or to avoid when choosing the container and the quantity of the water?

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:41 am »
Chris is right, you probably want to take it slow. Use a container that's not going to scratch the coin if it slides around. Also stay clear of any chlorine/chloride, such as tap water, PVC, bleach, tanker truck spills, etc.

If after several days, the distilled water isn't cutting the dirt, you can pull out the big guns... let it soak in olive oil. I find the full fruity flavor of Bertolli's extra virgin olive oil tastes the best, but coins aren't so picky. Olive oil can help loosen the dirt and although slightly acidic, is very mild. Still, your best bet is distilled water. Have fun!

Danny

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 12:22:37 pm »
It's soaking in distilled water at the moment.  :)

Now, I guess, the next ingredient that needs to be added is dose of patience... 

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:35:20 pm »
Yes, patience is a must, but I really think that this one will turn out nicely with minimal effort.

Chris

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 01:11:57 pm »
My advice:

1. distilled water
2. brushing with a soft nylon brush under running water to get off the loose dirt, maybe with help of chlorine-free detergents
3. drying
4. soaking with weapons oil for some days, various cyles at different temperatures at 20-80 °C, to loosen the other dirt and stabilize the patina surface
5. brushing with a soft nylon brush under running water to get off the dirt, with help of detergents
6. drying
( if necessary 7. mechanical cleaning with a dental pick or scalpel to get off the rest of the dirt)

:)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity