Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Weights or just 'thingies'? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weights or just 'thingies'?  (Read 2082 times)
Frans Diederik
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem, vita brevis est!

« on: July 17, 2010, 10:25:21 am »

It's been a couple of years since I first posed the question about a series of bronze objects I received in a large lot of Greek coins from Calabria and Tarente.
Recently I got another one from the South of France, with the description that it should be a weight.
I now have the following collection
nr 1: 57.55 grammes
nr 2: 29.60 grammes
nr 3: 11.65 grammes
nr 4:  8       grammes
nr 5:  8.3    grammes

1 could be a biunx
2 could be an uncia
but... the rest..? Would they fit in any Greek system?

Any ideas welcome.

Frans
Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:33:18 am »

nr 1: 57.55 grammes
nr 2: 29.60 grammes
nr 3: 11.65 grammes
nr 4:  8       grammes
nr 5:  8.3    grammes

1 could be a biunx
2 could be an uncia
but... the rest..? Would they fit in any Greek system?

They are odd for the Roman weight system. Though close to a biunx and uncia, it would be unusual for weights to be heavier than the 27.2 grams ounce-weight. No clue. Very interesting set.

v-drome
Consul

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:12 pm »

One theory I have heard is that these could be "feet" which were stuck into clay pots around the bottom to help them stand up. (although 1,2 and 3 are much larger than anything I have seen like this before).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Weights or just 'thingies'? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop