Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Weights or just 'thingies'?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Weights or just 'thingies'?
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »
It's been a couple of years since I first posed the question about a series of bronze objects I received in a large lot of Greek coins from Calabria and Tarente.
Recently I got another one from the South of France, with the description that it should be a weight.
I now have the following collection
nr 1: 57.55 grammes
nr 2: 29.60 grammes
nr 3: 11.65 grammes
nr 4:  8       grammes
nr 5:  8.3    grammes

1 could be a biunx
2 could be an uncia
but... the rest..? Would they fit in any Greek system?

Any ideas welcome.

Frans

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Weights or just 'thingies'?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:33:18 pm »
nr 1: 57.55 grammes
nr 2: 29.60 grammes
nr 3: 11.65 grammes
nr 4:  8       grammes
nr 5:  8.3    grammes

1 could be a biunx
2 could be an uncia
but... the rest..? Would they fit in any Greek system?

They are odd for the Roman weight system. Though close to a biunx and uncia, it would be unusual for weights to be heavier than the 27.2 grams ounce-weight. No clue. Very interesting set.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Weights or just 'thingies'?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:20:12 pm »
One theory I have heard is that these could be "feet" which were stuck into clay pots around the bottom to help them stand up. (although 1,2 and 3 are much larger than anything I have seen like this before).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity